Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Saturday 19 February 2011

Grey And Drizzly.

It has been a grey and drizzly day today so I got on with my reports. They are all electronic until the final approval and printing but I like to have a paper summary in front of me rather than skipping from one document to another on the PC. The continual assessment and leveling that we have been doing does help with writing these reports which are the 'short' reports. We have to give levels for effort and attainment in literacy,science and numeracy along with a comment and 'next steps' and then a general comment. The end of year reports will be much more detailed. When I did get out in the garden I found the pond full of frogspawn much of which already is forming tadpole shapes.
Earlier in the day I had a visit from Jack, the neighbours' son. Accompanied by 2 older girls he had brought me a stone for my garden. Later he was back on his own with a letter he had written saying - I hope you have a lovely spring. I will come and help you with the garden. He also brought me a small oak seedling in a pot. I'll have to think carefully where to plant it. About 15 years ago I dug up a 6" oak seedling from the rough field next door and transplanted to the top of the drive. It is about 5' high now and I think that it is time to take off another of the big branches of the hawthorn tree next to it. That tree is old and in poor condition as well as being covered with ivy so I thought that the oak would be a good replacement. There are 2 native species of oak tree in Britain but at least a dozen species can be found growing in gardens and there are 400-600 species of oak worldwide (depending on your source). I particularly like the red oaks of which there are a few grand specimens locally.

No comments: