Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Thursday 24 February 2011

A Little Gardening.

My poor PC definitely is on a go slow so I've backed up all my reports which have been completed though I need to give them a read through in a day or two. I expect I'll think they're awful but they've taken 4 days and I've had enough for the moment. I had to go into town to visit the dental hygienist so I dropped in at a few shops on the way. One place was BJ's which is an offshoot of Brian Ford's. It is a big warehouse type of place like a hardware store with a surprisingly good garden centre and like Brian Ford's you can sometimes find some odd bargains. The first things that caught my eye were these little fluorescent jackets and leads in the pet dept. The bigger one is for a rabbit and the smaller one for a ferret. What can I say?
I went out to the plant area to buy a plant for my class and saw a big bin of these sweet little terracotta saucers going for 1p each. Mmm I thought, I'm sure my children could do something with them and as Mothering Sunday is coming up in a few weeks they would make ideal presents after being decorated with some acrylic paints. At that price I bought 80 of them, enough for the other class as well. There were also some very sad looking ferns in pots for 10p that someone had obviously forgotten to water so I bought 4 and have put them in a damp and shady corner of the garden.
Back home as it wasn't actually raining I abandoned my plans to get on with next week's school planning as the forecast is for rain, rain and more rain for the rest of the week and went out and did a bit of gardening. I dug up some nettle roots in the hen run which was quite hard work so I took myself off to the scree garden. To lie back in a garden chair, close my eyes and simply listen to the sounds of the valley was utter bliss. I could hear the buzz of a quad bike (my neighbour's preferred mode of transport around his land), but mainly it was the sound of the birds tweeting away in the trees. There was the whirr of tiny wings near my head as a pair of small birds flew under the shelter and out again, they may be nesting up on one of the beams there. One of the little birds got in such a state it flew into one of the many wind chimes that hang up there, that made me smile. After a break I got on with some weeding until drizzle and lack of light sent me indoors.
PS. Looking closely at the first picture I can see an even smaller size vest and lead, presumably for a pet rat (or a skinny guinea pig).

No comments: