Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Tuesday 21 June 2011

The First Day Of Summer.

I find it hard to equate the longest day of the year with the first day of summer but that is what it officially is here. Maybe we'll get some better weather now.We had a lot of rain in the morning but it cleared up the afternoon which was wonderful for me as I spent most of the time out of doors. It was the first of our shuffle up afternoons today and my class went off to spend the afternoon in their new classes in the junior school. The new teacher who will be teaching Year 2 next year came into my class to work with her future class for the afternoon. I then volunteered to work in the Year 1 class that I will be teaching several afternoons a week next year so that I could get to know them. My job was to mingle with the children doing 'outdoor learning activities' and make sure that they were able to take turns on the 4 colourful scooters. That meant a lot of cheery "Shall we let some one else have a go now because you've had a lovely long turn?" and similar phrases. By that time it was lovely and sunny so I was more than happy to stay outside for my playground duty. And when that playtime was over the Year 2 children returned from the junior school and I let them have their playtime. It was such a hard afternoon!
On the way home I stopped to take in the view. There are now at least 14 wind turbines striding across the skyline.

The position of the veg plot means that I have a great view when I drive into the garden and even when the weather is not good I can check out the progress of my produce every day. I picked a first bowl of blackcurrants and put them in the freezer and then when they are all picked I'll have a jam making session.


1 comment:

happyone said...

It's always surprising to me that the days start to get shorter so soon.
Today was the last day of school around here for the summer. Late this year - they had to make up some snow days.