Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Friday 3 June 2011

Summer ?

It has been one of those rare summer's days that we long for on this misty isle. The sun shone all day and the temperature of 28C was made comfortable by a cooling breeze. After the usual session of 'school work' I escaped outside to spend a happy day gardening ... and relaxing. Mostly weeding and I think I've got rid of all the brambles, for the moment at least. It was still nice and warm when Peter came home and as the weather is set to turn by the end of tomorrow he cooked up a barbecue for supper. Shop bought (reduced) lamb kebabs on skewers with extra seasoning , plain boiled new potatoes and a mixed salad. A lovely way to end the day.

Old English roses or....

.....  modern roses?
The old roses have a wonderful scent but have a brief season while this gaudy modern rose has little scent but has a long flowering season and the petals stay on through the windiest of weather.

Something I always used to admire when visiting gardens were stone walls covered with flowers and right now the wall by the scree garden is a mass of purple campanula, white saxifrage and pink London Pride. Soon to come will be the old fashioned clove scented white pinks. Most of these plants were given to me by a neighbour when I first moved in and was faced with an empty wilderness.

The hardy geraniums are starting to cover the hillside with their shades of pink, purple and white. They are such good plants for this area, ultra hardy and slug resistant. At the last count I have about 20 varieties and they will definitely be coming with me when we do eventually move as they are very easy to split

1 comment:

happyone said...

Glad you got in such a nice summers day.
Supper sounds simple but delicious.
Beautiful photos.