Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Tuesday 23 August 2011

Potatoes But No Blackberries.

The swallow family whose hungry mouths I photographed only 15 days ago are able to fly now but still spend some time sitting on the ledge by their nest. Romas dug up my potato crop this evening. I only planted a short row for fun as the seed potatoes were going cheaply in Homebase. We will be eating some of them for our supper tonight.
I woke this morning with a headache which wasn't a good start to my birthday but at least I was able to spend the morning lying quietly in bed listening to the radio and the purring of 2 of the cats that were snuggled up on my bed. Romas and Vicky offered to take me out to lunch but I decided to stay quietly at home. They went into town and returned with a lovely chocolate cake, that's the first birthday cake I've had for many years so it was doubly appreciated.


It kept looking as if it was going to rain so I suggested that we walked up the hill and down to Princess Gate. There were very few blackberries in the hedgerows even though there are lots on the Tarka Trail. Being that much higher does makes a difference to the growing season. When we got to the end of the lane and started walking through the field when we noticed a herd of cows. 'No Problem' we thought but then to one side was a bull as well. Being of a cautious nature we decided to retreat and leave that walk for another time. Instead we went back up the road to Bowden Corner and back home across the fields catching a glimpse of the sun on Barnstaple Bay on the way.

No comments: