Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Friday 28 November 2014

And Now I'm Really Back.

The men from BT came this morning and at last we have the internet back, albeit mighty slow while it catches up on the automatic updates, and a clear phone line. It's such a relief to catch up on emails as I wasn't at work yesterday and check out Facebook. It's been almost 3 weeks off line which has seemed like an age. 
The heavy rain which put paid to our line continued on and off for 2 weeks so everywhere is quite soggy and I didn't have many chances to get on with the cementing. Last Saturday was relatively warm and I was able work outside without a coat. It was colder on Sunday and by Monday we had our first frost and it did feel cold. The roses in the garden looked like crystallised cake decorations. It stayed too cold for cementing so apart from teaching I've been doing things indoors.Yesterday the day started off crisp and sunny so I thought I'd take myself off for a short walk to Ashelford Corner. 
I was hoping to capture the sun on the last of the autumn leaves but the clouds had started to roll in by the time I got up there. It felt really good to be out for a walk, something I hadn't done for a long time. My knees complained about the unaccustomed work in the evening. Must take more walks.
It warmed right up in the afternoon so I was able to get on with the cementing, the end is in sight so long as it doesn't get too cold. Today was warmer still, 11C the man on the tv said, but I had finished the bag of sand so after baking some muffins for Peter to take to work and making cups of tea for the nice phone engineers who had to dig 9" down to uncover the man hole, I scrambled up and down the rocky slope giving it a thorough weeding. 
 Squeaky demonstrating her technique for the acquiring the warmest spot next to the Rayburn.
There was a lot of sun today which was nice to see though for most of the time the garden was in shade. As I worked on the slope the wind was roaring through the trees sounding like waves crashing on a shore or the distant rumble of heavy traffic. I prefer the waves myself.

2 comments:

Harriet said...

Lovely photos, especially the rose, and I would love a walk up the lane. Welcome back Ruta.

happyone said...

Glad you're back.
The rose is so pretty with the frost on it.
Lovely road to walk down and I'd love to take a walk down it with you. : )