Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Monday 11 December 2023

All Lit Up.

It was looking grey and gloomy when we left the house to drive to Mach this morning but by the time we were on our way home the sun was shining and the village, apart from our bit which stays in the shade at this time of year, was all lit up.
Today was our last library session before Christmas. We went through the work we will be doing in class this week which helps to avoid those rabbit caught in the headlights moments. We also went over the end of unit homework which we will probably be given to do over the holiday. Afterwards we went over to celebrate the end of term by having lunch in the Caffi Glyndwr (used to be Caffi Alys.) Peter and I both had the soup of the day which was bacon and lentil soup served with grated cheese and a wholemeal bap. Very tasty it was too. It was nice to have some extra time to chat with our friends. Something that came up was just how much things have changed in the last century or even in our lifetimes. When we were younger there were no; mobile phones, MP3 players, internet, pcs/laptops/tablets, cable/satellite tv, electric cars, bank cards, cash machines, video calls or on-line shopping. Could today's youngsters imagine living without any of those? Instead we had a land line phone, wrote letters, read books, went to the bank, wrote cheques and often used public transport. I even remember the rag and bone man going round the streets with his horse and cart and a knife grinder chap on his bicycle. How times have changed.
I was admiring the view when I spotted a coastguard helicopter hovering over the hills above Aberdyfi. Was it on a rescue mission or perhaps doing a Santa run over a local school? (Santa used to fly in his helicopter over the playground in my last school and wave to the children.) Then I noticed a  lot of smoke coming from over the brow of the hill and the helicopter landing in a nearby field. So far I haven't been able to find out any more details but I guess something was all lit up over there.
While in Mach I was tempted by the two glass baubles on the right. After all it's good to support local charities. Of course I don't have a tree to hang them on so the antlers had to do. The other two baubles were presents from Sally and Vytas.
This afternoon I began my Christmas baking, can't start too early or things will go stale but need to get it all done in time to post off one parcel. Today I started with my tired and trusted peanut and chocolate cookies. Easy to do as the cookies only need to be rolled by hand and pressed flat on the baking sheet. 
A little bit of pink in the sky this evening but I can't really say the sky was all lit up. (Tenuous link.)

 

No comments: