Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Friday 29 December 2023

Shopping Day.

More very heavy rain this morning which eventually cleared to give clear skies. Those clear skies and winds from the north have brought a noticeable drop in temperature.
Christmas finally caught up with me yesterday evening and I slept like a log. It was a wonderful sleep only spoiled at the end by dreams full of worry probably caused by a severe sinus headache which has been rumbling on all day. I could have retired to the sofa for a 'rest' day but I had plans and I find that being occupied takes my mind of my head when it's like this. 
My plans were to go and do a little food shopping to supplement the bounty we already have, check out the sales (not clothes but small stuff)  and go and spend the vouchers which Romas had sent me so that I could buy some new jodhpurs or whatever else I needed for riding. I had a wonderful time in Charlie's trying on all the styles of jodhpur and finally settled on a traditional style in navy blue. It was those or a more modern version, think heavy duty gym leggings with grippy areas on the seat and knees. I liked the fact that you could just pull them on and that they had a very high waistband which held in my stomach but they weren't quite as comfortable to wear, didn't hide my less than trim figure and were a brighter blue. So the cheaper pair it was and I went on to buy some riding gloves and a short sleeved riding top that was on sale as well. I look forward to being smartly turned out for my next riding lesson though I had liked the thought  that I had ridden my own horse and the ones I looked after in my old jodhpurs.
Naturally I had a look along the Christmas decorations too as they were all half price and these three came home with me. I may have to find more branches for the driftwood tree next year so that I can fit everything on. I also bought some more lights. I put them up to check they were working but they are quite bright in the window so I think next year they will go on the top of the bookshelves in the hall.
Out in the garden the bluebells have already put out their leaves. It will be nice to see a swathe of blue under the bare hydrangea bushes. Elsewhere other bulbs are appearing. These were all rescued from the original garden so I'm not too sure what they all are.
Nearly forgot to mention almost the best find of the day - tubs of sweet pickled herrings in Morrisons. I'd gone to look for roll mops and there they were. I was chatting to a man at the fish counter where I had gone to ask for some plastic bags as the tubs were a bit sticky, and he said they have them all the time. Result.
 

1 comment:

Debby said...

I envy you your view of the sea. What a remarkable thing to be able to gaze at every day. Every season. I've always had a longing to see the ocean in the winter, when the sky is gray and the water leaden but still moving. I did get to see it, with my daughter in law. It was windy and wild and it rained too. But...but!!! there were dolphins and they followed us as we walked along the beach. It was a beautiful day, and we had hot soup at a nearly empty restaurant.