Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Thursday 11 July 2019

Broken Sander.

The day began rather coolly, gradually the clouds lessened and it got a lot warmer. 
Today I thought I'd crack on with my furniture refurbishments. Many, many years ago this pine chest was stripped, probably by me, using the old traditional method of Notromors (a strong acid) to dissolve the paint which was then scraped off. If it was me I got so far but no further but really the chest has been beyond trendy 'distressed'. I emptied it out and set myself up in the front garden with my electric palm sander. I first went over the whole thing using the larger rectangular attachment. It was when I switched over to the iron shaped plate that the trouble began. The first I knew was that the plate and a part from under it came away from the rest of the sander. I thought that maybe the screw holding the part on had come undone so plan 1 was to screw it back on. Of course even though there were only a few components I wasn't too sure which way up they had to go and got no help from the diagrams in the booklet. When it fell off again I thought maybe I hadn't tightened it up properly so went through the whole process of undoing 3 screws with an allan key to take off the sanding plate and then another screw. I did this several times more noticing that one of the rubber feet that supported the plate kept coming out. I also wandered if the fact that the way I was using the sander angling it to get to the small marks might be causing the problem. In the end I decided the foot was the problem. I found one place on-line that does spare parts and have sent them an enquiry about replacement feet. The galling thing is that B&Q have the same sander highly reduced but not in any branch near us. Due to the many metal fittings I was going to have to finish off by hand anyway and luckily the pine is very soft.

Taking the chest out had made my study look a lot bigger so once finished I'll put it in the conservatory. With so much in here I imagine it's hard for people to see that it is a generous sized single room. You could even fit a double bed in but not much else. 
Peter has been doing a lot of phoning today and it looks like we'll be getting a small skip to clear the carpets and stuff from Borth. I can't wait to get things moving.

No comments: