Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Saturday 2 September 2023

Sunny and Hot.

They were right and it's been a hot sunny day with a warm breeze. Lovely for all the holiday makers though I'm not too pleased to see two people walking their dogs on the spit. The dog ban goes as far as the last pile of rocks and there are signs at the main entrances to the beach but people still think it doesn't apply to them.
I thought it was too early to get up when I woke at 4.30 so I went back to sleep for a few more hours. Once I got up I was full of energy thanks to the good weather and by breakfast; the windows were washed, a Bara Brith baked, one lot of washing was out on the line and a second in the machine, I'd done my Duo Lingo and I'd sat out for a while with my mug of tea. Not that breakfast was all that early but it makes me feel good when I've got the routine jobs out of the way.
After breakfast I nipped down to the shop to get butter and that nice rye bread they sell and then I was free to carry on working in the garden. Today the hydrangea got moved and so too did a lot of mint which is now up by the stone troughs. I isolated one of the two remaining bramble roots and painted it with weed killer. Fingers crossed that does the job. I also worked on the gate, drilling holes in the granite block wall  for the post. Now that I've fixed the post to the wall I can see that a lump in the granite is stopping the post from sitting flush against the wall. The post is going to have to come off so I can chip or drill off the lump. I painted the post and fixed some lead sheet to the top and the gate had an extra coat at the same time. I've screwed the sign on the gate but I need some black screws for the hinges as it would be shame not to do the job properly.
In-between all the outdoor work I amused myself by watching people on the water. 
The rowing club went out with both boats, not surprising on such a lovely day. Peter has another week of 'resting' until he can go out in the boat even as a cox.
I keep an eye on the fishermen because where there are fish there might also be dolphins. (Our neighbour saw them this morning but I didn't.) The chap above seems to have everything organised, a kayak with built in wheels so he can wheel it down the road, a seat to lean against while he waits for fish, a life jacket in case he falls asleep and all his fishing gear. The chap below, in the canoe is also sensibly wearing a life jacket and is fishing with a net. 
 A golden end to the day.

No comments: