Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Friday 1 September 2023

Warm.


The day has been dry and remarkably warm. Maybe a hint that the promise of much warmer weather next week might actually happen. 

I woke before 6.00, listened to a bit of Farming Today, farmers on the Penwith moors (near St Ives) have had their land designated as an SSSI including 181 hectares of farmed fields that will be put under severe restrictions that make farming very difficult. You can read more about it here. Then fell asleep for a few more hours.
I had my first cup of coffee sitting outside watching the activity on the water. The fish are around and once again told myself off for not having my camera with me when a shoal rose to the surface splashing so nosily I could hear them clearly. No sign of any dolphins so they were probably being chased by bass.
I did manage to get some photos of the heron that likes to patrol the rock pools. When I was enlarging my photo (a process that took 2 steps with my Nikon but takes 10 with the Canon) I realised I can straighten up a wonky horizon, something I'm a little prone to getting.
This photo shows what a difference the clouds make to the colour of the sea. Blue sky / blue sea, grey sky / grey sea.
I had a fairly relaxing morning doing some crochet, on the terrace of course, as I had a riding lesson in the afternoon. I rode Alice again (I checked and it is Alice not the Welsh version Alys though a number of the horses there have Welsh names.) We did a lot of work in canter and I've booked another hour hack next week, this time not just walk and trot. That should be more fun.
Afterwards I went into town to do some shopping. I took a longer route avoiding almost all of the traffic jam on the main road. That way took me past the garden centre and of course I had to make a quick visit to see if there was anything really calling to me. I'm learning that with only a few places to buy plants here if I see something for the garden then I should buy it straight away as it won't be there the next time. However despite seeing a couple of plants that would be nice in the rockery I resisted as the rockery is currently full. I may need to fill some gaps after winter and then I'll look for replacements. The lady that works there (the owner?) turns out to be a fellow disco aerobics participant.
A quick skip around town before coming home along the coast road. Rali Ceredigion a road rally, is being held on the local roads this weekend and although the cars will only be racing over parts of the road the whole road is closed from 6.00 tonight until tomorrow evening. There's a lot of local opposition to the rally both because of the road closures (including in Aber) and because of the detrimental effect cars in general and racing cars in particular have on the environment. I'm with the environmentalists on that.

A surprise rainbow fragment this evening.
And a pretty sunset.



 

No comments: