Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Wednesday 13 September 2023

Warm Again.

It looks like the full force of autumn is holding back for another day at least as today the air was warm and  sky was blue. And with the sea being almost flat I see that I was mistaken about the buoys being collected up as they are still out there shining brightly in the sun.
I've had lots of outside time today which makes it a good day for me. I was awake very early and had my mug of tea sitting outside in the dark. Well it's never completely dark with the street light on all night which suits the little bat that flies there catching all the insects attracted to the light. But it was dark enough with just the merest hint of light on the clouds. In the far distance on the slopes of the mountains a farm light was already on. All was quiet apart from the constant shushing of the waves. So peaceful. The first bird sound was a single squawk from a gull, maybe it had been pushed off its perch? But the early risers while it was still dark were the oystercatchers with their distinctive high pitched drawn out chirring. Not to be outdone the little garden robin with his cheery song was next. Then as the sky lightened the silhouettes of the herring gulls moved quietly overhead as they made their way inland behind me. I watched the lights of the early train as it made its way by the saltmarshes and round into Borth where it went out of sight behind the houses. Eventually I was ready to start the day and as I set to baking a Bara Brith the sunrise turned the clouds shades of pink and orange. We never really get to see the sunrise from here and at this time of year the best view is from the kitchen window.
I was out of the house nice and early as I had a 9.15 appointment to have my blood taken at the surgery. Usually I walk to the surgery but as I had several other things to do I took the car. While I was at the surgery I booked both of us in for our flu jabs at the beginning of October. No word yet of any covid vaccinations being offered. 
Next I drove down and parked near the zoo as I planned to pick some sloes. Yesterday I'd been told about some nearby bushes that had plenty of sloes but by the time I got to them today they had almost been picked clean. However I was able to stomp my way over the brambles and get to the higher branches and picked over a pound of sloes. Although I haven't done it before I'm hoping to make some sloe gin to give as Christmas presents. (I have tasted sloe gin made by a work colleague and though I don't drink, apart from a drop of Bailey's it was very nice.)
That done I had a little wander along the Leri enjoying the sun and the sound of the bees in the Himalayan Balsam. 
My trip out still wasn't over as I then drove to Dol-Y-Bont to buy a bag of compost from a farm that was cheaper than at the garden centre. 
The foraged sloes.
When I got home I had a welcome parcel. Meet my five ramshorn water snails who have come to live in the pond to eat up all the green algae.
I've spent most of the day cutting back the bushes where the metal gate used to be and removing handfuls of montbretia corms. I also potted the plants that won't go in the ground until next year, into much bigger pots. Speedy has been supervising. (Another dolphin sighting this afternoon but too brief to photograph.)

The orange mint that the person to whom I gave some small holly saplings and hypericum gave me is flowering. I can't smell the orange but I love the flowers and so do the bees. All the bees and flies are busy searching out the last flowers of the summer. For that reason I won't cut down the meadow until the last flowers are over.
Off this evening to choir. Might even do a warm-up beforehand which Speedy does not like.
 

No comments: