Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Thursday 5 October 2023

Grey.

And yet another grey day. Very heavy rain in the morning and the occasional dry spell in the afternoon. Still I'm sure we wouldn't appreciate the good weather if we didn't have the not so nice weather. A while back I heard somebody (on the radio) who came from a middle eastern country with unremitting blue skies say how wonderful and interesting the cloudy grey skies she experienced in the UK were.
We also have a strong warm wind blowing. I've always loved grasses especially when they blow in the wind. The stipa tenuissima moves so gracefully in this windy garden that I could watch it maybe not for hours but definitely more than minutes. If it survives the winter I'll be planting one or two more in the shingle garden. I managed to get out in the garden this afternoon ignoring a brief shower. I'd bought some synthetic sisal rope (the natural rope would eventually rot in this wet climate) and I've used it to hold back the montbretia which I'd moved to under the hedge which had been flopping over the fuchsias. (Wow, never knew there was an extra s in there.)
Gardening of course came after our Welsh class. Today we were learning to use the future tense I will/he, she will. (no it as everything is masculine or feminine.) In Welsh all verbs conjugate and this threw up a Welsh quirk where the pronunciation of Y (apart form a number of exceptions) changes depending on its position in the word. In the final syllable it's ee, elsewhere it's uh. So I will be is Mi fydda i - [me vuh-tha ee]. Fine but for she will be it's Mi fydd hi -[me veeth he] because there's an extra syllable on fydda.
After working my brain so hard it was good to simply enjoy the beauty of the flowers still blooming in the garden. The Michaelmas daisy at over 5ft high will be going down into the front garden this winter. It's a real stunner which I'm sure came from the supermarket.
Off in a moment to aerobics and for supper afterwards Peter has made our favourite sauerkraut, potato and sausage casserole using some of the potatoes I dug up yesterday.
 

No comments: