Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Saturday 7 October 2023

Sunshine and Warmth.

After a week of miserable weather it made a lovely change to find that summer has returned, even if only for a few days. It's been a day of sun and warm winds with an afternoon temperature of 19C/66F.
I had a dreadful night with my ribs reaping the consequences of lifting heavy stones (when will I ever learn?)  but as soon as some reviving tea had done its work I was throwing washing in the machine. Everything apart from one towel dried nicely on the line and has been ironed and put away. The tea got me out of bed and once I'm moving around I feel a lot better. 
First set of jobs done I was able to go to my happy place ie out on the terrace with a mug of coffee to watch the world go by and think..
Much garden planning takes place out on the terrace. This week it's mostly been about deciding on the plants for the raised beds by the steps. The temptation is to throw in lots of plants but realistically the lower bed only needs three plants. So which two plants, either from the back garden or the garden centre, will compliment the caryopteris? Do I factor in the yellow flowers of the hypericum? Not my favourite colour but so loved by the bees. So far I'm thinking about taking cuttings from the rockery plant with the daisy flowers (can't remember its name) as the blue grey foliage contrasts nicely with the grey leaves of the caryopteris and then maybe a lavender.
It hasn't all been just sitting and dreaming. I mixed up a small batch of mortar and cemented in the last block on the other side and the coping stones on top. There were a few of the original blocks that needed resetting too. I also took my secateurs, and loppers to a small leaved escallonia growing in the bed on the other side of the steps. I feel really sad when I chop back something that has taken so many years to grow but I've left the main plant and just removed the longest branches.
Still plenty of colour in the garden.
 

1 comment:

happyone said...

Glad you had a nice warm day.
It's been too cold here to sit on the porch today!