Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Sunday 21 September 2008

Car Boot Sale.

Pete looked out of the window and saw this sparrowhawk eating one of the jackdaws. I hope it won't become a regular visitor to the garden as they go for all the little birds. The jackdaw was probably one of the birds that nested in the attic. When it was feeding time, upstairs it would sound like Hitchcock's 'The Birds'. Last year it was one nest, this year it was several including one in one of the chimney pots. Better not light a fire in the kitchen.

It was another sunny day today though with more cloud than yesterday. I took the opportunity to go to the Sunday afternoon car boot sale. It's held out in a field and is so big that it took me 2 hours to walk around. The car boot sale is the place to hear languages other than English possibly because recent economic migrants are on low wages and know it is a excellent place to buy things cheaply. Last week I seemed to hear people speaking in Lithuanian at every turn. Mine and Peter's parents came from Lithuania after the war though we were both born in the UK.( Pete in London and myself in Cornwall). Though Pete is fluent, I understand and speak only a little so I have never introduced myself to anyone I hear speaking the language and they do sound like quite a rough lot. We have a lot of Lithuanian migrants in the area who came to work here after Lithuania joined the EU. When we first came to Devon I don't think anyone in Devon had even heard of Lithuania.
A country lane on the way to the car boot sale.

The afternoon sun across my neighbour's field.


Part of the garden.

'Goodnight'





2 comments:

Catching the Magic said...

Mmm, I'm loving these photographs - I can't keep up! Driving through tunnels of trees is one of my favourite things about the English countryside - and whenever I'm home I always go crazy over them. You have so much colour in your garden too, it's beautiful.

Marrisa said...

That is an awesome photo of the little hawk, how cool is that! You have some of the most amazing wildlife in your area xx