Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Thursday 4 September 2008

More Rain Expected.

When will this rain ever stop? Yesterday we had sunshine and HEAVY showers. I got Romas to finish repairing the drive and overnight we had 60mm of rain. So by the morning it was wrecked again. I've never known it to be so bad in all the years we've been here. The forecast for tonight is just as bad so we're going to put wood right across the road as well as the soil that we've been using to create dams. Hopefully that will keep the worst of the water away.




This is just a view through a gateway on my way home from school. Finding good views used to be a lot easier when I had my old Landrover. Not only could I see over the hedgerows but I could climb up on the bonnet to get better shots. Sadly the chassis rusted out and it failed its MOT. I was able to sell it on ebay for a good price to a bloke who imports 25 year old landies to the US, repairs them and sells them on. Now I have a tiny Micra which is a lot more economical but doesn't drive off road or get me through the floods.I was driving home feeling rather cross because I had waited over an hour to give Romas a lift home from town only to find out that he had gone home on the bus, (which the college had told me wasn't running), and hadn't thought to ring the school to let me know. Teenagers! I suppose it's time I sorted myself out a mobile phone again. I did have one but the kids would never answer when I phoned them and after the first £10 credit ran out I didn't bother. Then when I did go to get credit someone had pinched the simcard!
Cheery news at school, a little boy with Downs syndrome who has had heart problems since birth, had heart surgery in the holidays. They were able to do the procedure through his groin and he is back and running around and as happy as ever.

Just been watching "Super Doctors" on BBC1, (should be available on BBCi player). A bit gruesome but uplifting to see this doctor and the work he is doing in Malawi.

2 comments:

Rela Pantaleon said...

Hi Ruta! Just circling back from TX here. Thanks for the comment you left in my blog.

Meanwhile, your photos are great! It gives me a glimpse of North Devon. Hope to cross the Atlantic in the future!

Hey, your names Ruta, Romas, Limas do not sound English (at least for me!). Where do they come from?

Catching the Magic said...

Really, really feel for you on the rain front. My folks have mentioning the rain on our weekly phone catch-ups, but I didn't really appreciate how bad your summer has been until I started reading your blog and seeing the numerous photos of grey skies! I'm so sorry.

On a happier note - love the flax photograph! We have TONS of them here in NZ (as you no doubt know!) and their leaves are turned into the most beautiful bags, baskets and ornaments!

There's a great bag by Mick Pendgergrast called 'Fun with Flax': 50 Projects for Beginners (published by Reed) that would be worth checking out - probably available on Amazon. I've got one gathering dust on my kitchen shelf and am really waiting for some extra time to get creative.

One of these days you should come on out to NZ and see them! :)