Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Friday 19 September 2008

Indian Summer.

Today we had the most glorious sunshine. In fact it was positively hot. Just like a summer's day. In fact better than a summer's day seeing as it was grey or rainy for the whole of August. And what was I doing today? Soaking up the sun in the garden? Roaming the countryside looking for those special shots? No, I was teaching all day. An easy class and we had a fun day though the big topic of conversation is the fair. It's a really big event in their lives. One lad was telling the class how he was going to the fair yesterday but couldn't because his sister had broken the car window. I was rather surprised because his sister is a petite 10 yr old but it turned out that the window switch had broken. Dad was getting a new car today which was 'like a jeep'. 'Ah' I said, ' you're getting a 4 wheel drive vehicle.' I was treated to a very odd look and told ,'yes, it will have 4 wheels.' Obviously elderly teachers can get a bit confused about cars.

I couldn't resist taking a few shots of the flowers in the lovely evening light.



I walked round the garden yesterday, putting off doing some mundane weeding, and I counted 50 types of flower still blooming. Some ,like the aubretia,honeysuckle and the roses have just a few flowers left but others are still giving a lovely display.







3 comments:

Catching the Magic said...

Hi Ruta, thank you so much for the kind words you left on my blog - I've posted a little response and I'm so grateful to you for your understanding.

Thank you for posting such beautiful photographs on your blog too - I'm loving the light in these photos. I recall and artist in Cornwall telling me it was 'the light' that made art so inspiring there. Well, here in Wellington, in Island Bay, there is an artist from Cornwall and he seems to have found 'the light' too. There is something so magical about capturing nature in any form - paint, film, pencil or simply a memory in our heart.

I can feel the warmth in your photographs and love the colours in your garden.

Sarah
x

Domestic Executive said...

Hi Ruta

It's a been a few days for me to catch up with the blogs I love reading with the BATW feature post. That was fun but I have to admit it's pretty cool being able to get back to what I love doing which is nosing into what my blog friends have been up to.

These recent posts are really atmospheric. I loved the tale about the cow. We had a few problems with the neighbours goats and sheep getting out and I found myself rounding them up regularly to save them getting on the road.

The photos sell a wonderful story about the indian summer you seem to be having. My Dad was so relieved that it looks like a spell of fine weather as they are off to Dartmouth for a week.

In answer to your questions about the water etc. It's tank water with water collected off our rooves, effluent treatment (not sceptic) and we have solar hot water which is boosted by a wet back. Martin wants a wind turbine (can you believe it) but with the winds we do get it might help rewind the power bill a micro dollar!

Keep up with these pictures you really do live in a delightful place. I was hankering for some old world history after reading about your trip to town!

Marrisa said...

Just lovely, such ambience - you must be so proud of that gorgeous garden xx