Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Friday 12 September 2008

Petrol the old-fashioned way.




The sun was shining this morning so I started the day with coffee in the garden, joined by Patch who was hoping that I had something to eat as well. As I wasn't going in to work I thought I would combine a trip to Tesco with a visit to the dump and buy petrol on the way there. This highly efficient plan was foiled by the only garage on the way having a problem with its pumps so no petrol. After getting rid of more stuff at the dump, hooray! and doing some veg shopping, I negotiated the clogged Ilfracombe High street only to find that there was a tanker delivering fuel to the garage there and the garage was closed. I took the scenic costal route to Combe Martin and got petrol from the little independent garage there. This was the first time I've had someone fill the car for me ,(just like in old films), I was quite surprised. On the way I took the opportunity to take a few North Coast photos.


Rock formations at Hele bay.




Looking up the Bristol Channel from Hele Bay.
On clear days Wales can be seen on the horizon.



Looking along the coast near Combe Martin.
The first headland is known as Great Hangman.



This Red Damselfly joined me as I sat outside to eat my lunch. At 2" long it was not as impressive as the 4" long, yellow and black Emperor Dragonfly that sat on my hand for 5 minutes last week. I was desperately hoping that someone would come by to pass me my camera but nope. I was keeping a close eye on its mechanical looking jaws in case it wanted to see what my skin tasted like but it eventually flew away. The lenses of the eyes were like big blobs of glass .












2 comments:

Marrisa said...

Just look at those awesome photos!! That is truly gorgeous stuff. I only ever remember Dragonflys as a child, they used to circle the local pond and land on us, have only ever seen that again here in NZ - its wonderful isnt it?

PS. Here in NZ most of the petrol stations here have someone charging out to fill your car whilst you sit in it...can't get used to that at all!! xx

Catching the Magic said...

Beautiful pics! I love those dragonflys - there's something so magical and almost prehistoric looking about them!

Glad you found some good service - eventually - on the petrol front - sounds like the extra petrol you used finding a garage was worth the trip :)