Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Thursday 11 September 2008

An Evening with the Wild Indians.

Last night I went to the WI aka Wild Indians. When we first moved here I decided that I would go to any group that I was invited to. So when our second visitor was a neighbour inviting me to the local Women's Institute meeting I thought "Why not?" . In those days there were only 12 of us so we were able to meet in each other's homes. A great way to get to know people. Now we are usually 20 and we meet in the local village hall. I'm not conventional or a jam and Jerusalem person but I've found that our group fosters gentle relationships and is extremely supportive. The regular meetings are for some their main social activity, I'm in this group because away from work I'm perfectly happy at home either with my family or alone. Some, especially older members are alone by circumstance and not by choice. We support each other through illness and loss and also have a lot of fun. There are some very lively minds with interesting ideas. When we get together for joint group meetings apologies for absence are just as likely to be X is researching weaving in India or at an origami function in Japan (real examples) as ... visiting family up country. One member will be going trekking in Thailand for several months next year! Anyway last night's speaker was a lady from a local garden centre talking about 'Autumn Colour'. She had brought lots of plants with her but few of them inspired me. They were mostly shrubs with leaves that turn purple/red but I look for more beauty in the shape of the plant and the way the light shines through the leaves. I can't resist grasses and their flowering spikes. She did bring along an acer but not as nice as either of the 2 that I grow in pots.


She also confirmed that many plants have flowered very late this year or not at all due to the dismal weather we've had this summer. The passionflower growing around the porch has only just started to flower. If the mild temperatures continue there should be lots more flowers.
This is the gateway on the lane where Romas gets the college bus. The sun was shining this morning and as we drove up there on the fence was a Barn Owl.


It is not often we see the owls and to have one sitting there in the daylight was a definite photo opportunity. The farmer whose fields come down to the back of the house has created a wildlife sanctuary in the ruins of some old farm buildings. He's planted more native trees and has a nest box for Barn Owls in one of the barns. We often hear the owls in the evenings, sometimes it's like an overdone Disney film with all the whoo whooing, but we don't see them so often.

"What! Are you looking at me?"
Another easy afternoon at school today. Especially as I had to teach the same PE lesson and RE lesson as yesterday. It gave me time to concentrate on getting to know the children. And GOOD NEWS - it is now official, I will be teaching the reception class full-time in the spring and summer terms to cover maternity leave. I will get to know the children this term when I teach them for 1 afternoon each week and there will be lots of opportunities to liaise with their current teacher who is a lovely girl and extremely well organised. All the planning will be in place and I should have the chance to go on some relevant courses this term. How good is life?




3 comments:

Domestic Executive said...

Wow, that owl is awesome. Well done for capturing it on film (Well digital, you know what I mean!). I tried to photograph our resident ducks yesterday but I kept disturbing them too much!

Julie www.domestic-executive.com

Marrisa said...

I agree, excellent photo - well done and he is just stunning isnt he? I noticed you mentioned how 'good life is'....good for you - you deserve it all (and more!) xx

Catching the Magic said...

Great news on the teaching post!

Also, awesome capturing of the owl - magnificent! I think you must be blessed with an affinity to animals - they seem to surround you wherever you go! Frogs, butterflies, dragonflies and owls all in the last few posts... whatever next?!

Sarah x