Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Sunday 21 September 2008

Carnival Fireworks.

Yesterday was a sunny, lovely day. The wings on this dragonfly looked as if they were covered in scales of gold. Why is it that sunshine is so uplifting ? When the sun is shinning my spirits are raised, I feel positive and energised. I spent a satisfying day out in the garden enjoying the sunshine,(reading) and getting some jobs done. I was painting a wall when Romas, who was cutting grass - for cash, called out that there was a pony out on the road. I grabbed a bucket and did the old stones in a bucket trick, caught the pony and using one of the headcollars that are left by the gateways, took it back down to the stables. When something like that occurs it reminds me of how much I used to enjoy looking after peoples' horses ( in the East End of London). We did ride at the stables next door but once the boys started riding it got very expensive to pay for 4 lessons at a time and I couldn't justify being the only one to ride. Pete barbequed some steaks and we had a leisurely outdoor lunch, that's the way to live.
Later in the evening Romas and I went into town to watch the fireworks. (Pete has a knee injury so needs to rest up. ) As we drove into town we just caught the tail end of the carnival. It's a fantastic atmosphere, crowds of people and lots of children everywhere either strolling back to the car parks or making their way towards the river to watch the fireworks or over to the fair. I tried to get some atmospheric shots and the batteries went flat and for once the spares were at home. The carnival floats congregate in the civic centre car park and many still had the music blaring out and lights blazing. There are always a lot of marching musicians and a salsa band was enthusiastically carrying on. Amongst the crowds were many people in their carnival costumes. The fireworks are set off from an old factory site on one bank of the river and everybody can get a good view, either from the Long Bridge or from the pedestrianised area by the river that used to be the old bus station. Romas and I found a spot on the concrete wharf where we could sit against some railings and have a superb view of the fireworks which as usual were spectacular.
As I failed to get any decent shots here are a series of pictures I took on a grey morning about a week ago. I always love the idea of looking through a tunnel of trees.





















1 comment:

Domestic Executive said...

Plenty of atmosphere in this post - no need for fireworks. Seems like the good weather has finally arrived.

Thought you might want to check out this blog.

http://thehunkygardenerblog.blogspot.com/