Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Sunday 11 October 2009

Job Hunting.

It was a wild and windy morning so we had a lie in listening to the wind moaning on the corner of the house and watching the rain lash at the window. A pity I had forgotten to close the micra's sun roof ! I discovered some very wet seats when I went to take the rubbish up to the top of the drive. Let's just say I was not amused. Most of the day has been spent at the PC trawling through the teaching job advertisements. I've sent my details to another 25 schools in NZ that have suitable vacancies. Each time I checked out a school's details or had a look at its website I kept thinking 'Is this where I'll be working next year? Might these be my new colleagues?'. Silly I know, most of the time I manage to compartmentalise my dreams away and focus on the task in hand. I did like the sound of the school that headed its advert Supreme High Commander Wanted. But I am only looking for a class teacher's job.
By the time I escaped my job hunting the sun had almost left the garden just lighting up the tops of the trees.

Luckily I took my camera with me, as always, when I went up the drive with the rubbish, and caught some pretty skies.






These were taken down at Bowden Corner.




I finally spoke to Romas today, my sons are very poor communicators, and as I expected he's having a good time at university. I found out from him that Vytas has been in Vienna , something to do with his PhD, which is why I haven't been able to get in touch with him. Having decided that I need to be able to Skype I enlisted Linas' help in buying a web cam. We looked at a selection on a site Pete uses and my frugal nature would have been happy with a £4.99 web cam but the techincal experts - Linas and Pete, insisted I had something a bit better. I resisted their pleas to buy myself a £90 all singing and dancing web cam and we settled for something inbetween. Once that arrives I'll get set up and then will be able to not reach my sons in one more way. Romas tells me that they are not allowed to have Skype at uni. I expect it would soon use up all their band width.

6 comments:

Frances said...

Whereabouts in NZ are you looking for jobs? Any particular area or all over?

And, this is a question that is intriguing me as I've been lurking on your blog for a while - why on earth do you want to move to NZ when you live in such an incredibly beautiful area already! :-)

happyone said...

Ah beautiful sky pictures.
Good luck with the job hunting!

Domestic Executive said...

Ruta, that 4th picture with the clump of trees is stunning. Great to know you are still persevering with the job hunt. Sing out if there anything I can do to help. JT

Ruta M. said...

A job anywhere in NZ would be good, well maybe not right down south. This is one of the most beautiful parts of the UK but even so it is quite crowded, house prices are astronomical, £300,00 for a small house, double that if you want to be near the coast and wages are really low because there are so few jobs. Local towns have unemployment/ alchohol/ drugs problems similar to the cities. We're ready for new horizons and a lot more space And this country is choked with so many regulations, I have to draw up a full page risk assessment just to walk my class to the school across the road. Also we would eventually like to build our own house, something that is almost impossible here.

Frances said...

Thanks for that Ruta. It makes sense now. :-)

We do have unemployment, drugs and alcohol problems here, that's for sure! But 300k POUNDS would get you a million dollar mansion where I live in Christchurch.

Give me a yell if there's anything I can do from this end. :-)

Ruta M. said...

Thanks for the offers of help. One bit of me keeps thinking I might be flying over soon for job interviews, successful of course, and another bit of me tells me not to be so daft and to be more realistic in my dreams. We'll see.