Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Friday 16 October 2009

Morning Tranquility.

This morning Peter and Linas had left by 7.00 while it was still dark. As I went out to let the hens out and scatter some corn the sky was beginning to lighten though the sun hadn't started to rise above the eastern horizon. It was rather warm and as I stood in the garden I was struck by the tranquility of the place. A couple of blackbirds were singing in the trees and over the hill an owl was hooting away in Ron Fry's ruined barns. The only other sounds were the mumblings of the hens as they emerged from their house and the sound of water rushing along the streams that border the garden. Gradually as the light increased, more birds started to join in the dawn chorus. A lovely moment to start the day.
A lot of children off sick again in school, 6 from my class alone.


Stayed late in school , as always, and nipped down to Somerfields to get some food for the cats, and to check for bargains. Got Linas' favourites - marble cake and fresh apple juice, so he's a happy lad tonight. Doing building work during the day gives him an even bigger appetite than usual. As I was driving out of town I caught sight of the sun in my rear view mirror looking like a flaming globe. I drove as fast as I could to get to the first of the 'sunset' veiwpoints at the same time snatching the occasional sideways look to see what was happening with the sun. I managed to get some decent shots of the sun going down over the sea with Hartland Point in the background. By the time I had got up the hill by the Lewis' the sunset had become a grey mush with just a touch of pink. So often I've walked out of school to see a spectacular sunset inbetween the buildings but Barnstaple is down at sea level without good vantage points and it is a matter of rushing up into the hills.



4 comments:

happyone said...

Such a beautiful sunset.
Its amazing how fast the sky changes!!
Marble cake sounds delicious!

Julie said...

those are beautiful pictures...and what are your kids in school sick from? We don't have any flu shots here yet, and we are waiting for them to arrive. Just wondering

Domestic Executive said...

Amazing views of the sun up and sun down. Thanks for capturing the moment. Hope what the kids have isn't catching.

Ruta M. said...

The kids at school seem to be suffering from a vague sickness bug, coughs and colds. The one child who had suspected swine flu was back in 2 days so I guess it hasn't hit us yet. The vaccinations are due to be issued soon but they don't give you immunity, only reduce the symptons and the duration by a day and they do have side effects so I'd rather get the flu and then have full immunity. Most of us staff do have colds but you just work through that.