Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Tuesday 27 April 2010

Better Weather.

It has been a beautiful day today, back to real summer weather. My morning was spent digging out dandelions from the lawns, 370 of them! and there are still more to go. The grass was dry enough in the evening for me to cut all the grass that can be done with the mower. I even managed to do some strimming as well though I had forgotten that it's not a good idea to strim while wearing shorts. Small stones and twig bits sting when they are spun into bare legs. I intend to try and keep on top of the mowing this year as I haven't got Romas here to do my mowing. The blossom is out on the 2 big pear trees. They have never produced any fruit even though they always have plenty of blossom. The people who planted them probably didn't check if they were self pollinating or if they needed another variety nearby to set fruit. I did plant a 3rd pear tree (a conference I think) which the books said would be a universal pollinator but still no fruit.
It is good to see the new leaves appearing on the beech trees. There is a definite progression according to the age of the plants. First are the youngest, the regularly pruned hedges. Then the smaller trees and finally the stately mature trees. We're still waiting for them to wake from their long winter sleep.

Beech trees and hedge on the garden boundary.

1 comment:

happyone said...

That's a lot of dandelions!! Personally I like dandelions in the lawn. I think all that yellow looks so pretty in the green.