Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Sunday 4 April 2010

Midnight Mystery.

HAPPY EASTER.
Peter and I went to our local church for the Easter Service. Very traditional and I do miss the much more lively worship at the Fellowship we used to worship with but have moved away from for various reasons.
Shirwell Church is a lovely old church and the barrel roofing shows the use of boat building techniques.The church was full but not overflowing with around 50 people. It is a sad reflection of our times that this is the total of worshippers from 3 parishes. One vicar serves all 3 parishes and though there were communion services being held at the other 2 churches later in the day, this was the main Family Easter Service. (And there are no other churches in the area.) There were about 6 children at this morning's service even though there are about 50 children at the village school. Britain claims to be a Christian country but for most people that simply means that they don't belong to any other religion, possibly believe in God and would like to get married in a church. Everyone of course celebrates Easter with lavish expenditure on chocolate Easter eggs. I do begrudge paying inflated prices for all that packaging. When the boys were little we would go to the shops after Easter and buy the eggs at half price but they soon worked out it was still cheaper to buy bars of chocolate. When the boys were very little our London hens managed to lay chocolate eggs, must have been the chocolate we fed them the night before.


Now for last night's midnight mystery.
Fact 1- Elwen, the smallest of our cats, always climbs up onto the conservatory roof and cries at our bedroom window on that side to be let in.
Fact 2- The feathers found on the conservatory roof look like owl feathers.
So what happened? Late last night we heard thumping out on the conservatory roof, a lot more than Elwen usually makes. I stuck my head out of the window to see something large and round scrabbling away and sliding down to the edge of the conservatory roof but I couldn't make out what it was. I rushed downstairs but there was nothing on the ground. Back upstairs, shone my torch out onto the roof to see a lot of feathers. Shortly afterwards Elwen was back on the windowsill. I let her in and there was not a scratch or mark on her.
Possibilities. Had Elwen climbed up on the roof or windowsill at the same time as an owl was sitting there to the surprise of both of them? Or had Elwen been the focus of an owl attack? She is really tiny, about the size of a 6 month old normal cat (her mother is tiny too but her brother is a big fatty.) She bullies Squeeky and has been known to kill full sized rats so I don't think an owl would have stood a chance against her. We will never know.


Had to include this picture of 3 day old Ben being admired by my 2 sons who were togged up to the eyeballs (literally) ready to go off and shoot each other with their air rifles. Such macho men. No signs of Coral's foal yet. Ben is happy to wear a tiny foal's halter as he follows his mum back down to the stables.

1 comment:

Catching the Magic said...

What a beautiful church. I did consider taking the girls, but they weren't keen and I didn't want to push it. It's a shame though as I have very fond memories of the special Easter services when I was a child, still they are only young. I went to a Church of England school, which I really enjoyed. It's sad that in NZ under a quartet of schools study any religion at all! I don't think Easter is even mentioned in Charli's school. Ah well, we do plenty at home.

Love the foal photos!