Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Friday 9 April 2010

Looking In The Wrong Direction.

Gardening is not the most intellectually taxing activity, at least not the way I do it, and so I have plenty of time to think. Unfortunately I have a tendency to be a 'grumpy old woman' and yesterday as I sat picking stones it was; grumble grumble why does no one help out in the garden, grumble grumble why aren't my hips any better and GRUMBLE poor old me not had a holiday of any sort for 17 years. Lots of positive thinking going on there.In today's sunshine and warmth (20C) my head finally sorted itself out and instead of looking at those who have better health, lifestyle, finances whatever I realised that all I am doing is focusing on the negative. If I turn my mind's eye in the opposite direction there are so many people even in this country whose lives are far harder and sadder than mine. Yes I have joint problems but I'm mobile, have an armoury of painkillers, am being treated and do not have to face any medical bills. As for holidays, if I added up all the hours working in the sunshine serenaded by birds or walking by the sea, even as this morning watching the sunrise as a goose flies across the garden, they surely would amount to more than any city dweller's annual holiday. Yes it can rain everyday for 8 weeks in the summer but the sunshine is around. You just have to catch it. There have been many days when living here does not feel like a holiday but also many times when I think 'What more could I ask for.'
Today we had what would in earlier days have been a disaster. After making ominous banging noises the washing machine motor, or something inside, finally burnt out. Romas' t-shirts came out with a whiff of bonfire. Luckily I was able to spend some time on the net and order a reasonably priced replacement which will be arriving next Wednesday. Time was I would have had to wait for pay-day to make a big purchase but luckily I have enough put by for emergencies. The wind blew the smell out of Romas' clothes and I do have some things that need hand washing anyway. So no big trauma.

I went up and had a chat with Sarah as she turned the ponies out this morning. She thinks that judging by the unsettled night Coral had last night and the number of times she had to stop on the way out to the field that the foal might finally arrive tonight. I asked about the call duck and good news, the noisy one was a female and she has quietened down since the arrival of a couple of drakes. She has laid several eggs which have been put in an incubator. Considering how long it took her to venture onto the water when she first came she probably does not have a lot of natural duck instincts. A Canada goose has also made a nest and is sitting on eggs on the island, safe from foxes.

1 comment:

Elora said...

What a great post, Ruta! Many times I have done the same (grumble, etc.)then, like you, I discover the joys surrounding me and tell that "Old Grump" to go take a hike! Our mind is able to manufacture all kinds of "slights" that don't exist...especially when we're tired or less than our best. Never doubt that your energy and your spirit is inspiring to others, girl! You fly circles around everyone! If your hip is slowing you down right now, take advantage of all that work you did before your injections and get a lawn chair and SIT outside and enjoy the surrounds! You deserve it. Baby yourself a bit! Your garden must be so lovely now that spring is marching in! Thanks for all your lovely photos and for sharing your world with us all!
Elora