Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Saturday 17 April 2010

Taverna Dingles.

One of the lovely things about our bedroom is having windows on both the east and west sides. That way we get to enjoy the sunrise and sunset. This morning the rising sun sent a warm golden glow into our room as it rose over the Exmoor hills. It wasn't that warm when I went outside to take a pot shot at the jackdaws, 2C and frost still on the ground! It soon warmed up to another beautiful day. Less wind than yesterday, so not so good for drying but nicer for me. The first flowers are out on the Rubus Spectabilis. I bought this plant many years ago when I went on a yellow book garden visit (private gardens open for a day to raise money for charity). The poor plant was given some soil in a hole the size of a bucket that I dug into a bank of solid clay and rock. It flourished and has grown into a clump 8' x 4'. I find it an excellent plant as it is not affected by slugs or any other pests and survives in the most exposed spot of the garden.

A few years ago I used the spare runners,( it is a kind of ornamental raspberry), to make a hedge. It only grows to about 5', never has to be trimmed, only needs wayward runners cutting off, has showy flowers in spring and keeps its leaves on for some bright autumn colour at the end of the season. The only drawback is that it is leafless in winter but I don't mind that.

This is Coral who still is holding onto her foal. Nobody is worrying yet but she does look a little large. No surprises in how I spent my day, digging in the dirt again. Thank goodness it has been dry for so long as I wouldn't have been able to sieve out the gravel if the ground had been wet.

Naturally the day ended with another barbecue. Greek style tonight, pork kebabs, pitta bread, salads, taramasalata and tzatzki. Depending on when we eat, the tables get moved around the garden to find the sunniest spot. Being up on the hill the scree garden gets the first and the last sun of the day. Let's hope for another nice day tomorrow.

No comments: