Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Wednesday 16 March 2011

The Dance Festival.

It was another lovely day today, 16C (60F) which is good enough for me. The Dance Festival went really well with my class pulling off their country dance despite some children being away. In our last few practices I had concentrated on getting them to dance in any order and even to dance on their own if their partner was away, or in the toilet, or sitting down because of a stubbed toe and for 6 and 7 year olds they did brilliantly. It was a very informal affair , no audience, just the primary school children taking part and their teachers. The older children did some amazing dances, mainly compilations that had everything from the Can-Can to Ballroom to Modern danced to traditional music through to pop. That was the morning and in the afternoon I had PPA time with the other Year 2 teachers and finally after school I changed one of my display boards and put up some great pen and pencil drawings of flowers and various branches from the Secret Garden. That kept me at school till late but it was still mild enough to get out for my walk up the hill. All along the local hedgerows are splashes of bright yellow daffodils which have been planted to herald the spring. There are great swathes of them as you approach the villages and gardens are bright with yellow forsythia, pink camellias and pink and white blossom on ornamental trees. Every now and again in the country lanes you can see the white froth of Blackthorn blossom in amongst the still bare branches.
No clouds so no pretty sunset tonight, just a pink haze and the mist starting to obscure the hills.

As I was a bit later today I didn't go further than the top of the road, just turned around and headed back down the hill again.
Note - putting a baked potato in the oven for 11 hours does not work. Even wrapped in foil and at the bottom of the oven. I was experimenting to see if I could have a baked potato ready for when I came home as by the nature of things the Rayburn is always on. It only has one cooking oven, unlike an Aga and the lower compartment is only for keeping things warm, the cats especially if I leave the door open.

1 comment:

Elora said...

My old Aga had four ovens each with about a 100-degree F. intervalfrom another, depending on how close to the fuel burning they were. Only had to be filled twice a day with coal. But I'm not sure potatoes cooked all day would have worked in it either. Loved that stove, though! Miss it. I know your Rayburn gives you fits sometimes, but all stoves have their drawbacks. For me, it's the wood chips, the creosote in the chimney that builds up, having to clean long chimneys and, of course, cutting hauling, splitting wood is sometimes a pain!
Loved hearing about your dances!

Elora