Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Saturday 5 March 2011

Dinosaur!

That's what Peter said as we drove along the country lanes on our way out for a walk at Mortehoe. I thought he might be pulling my leg but sure enough on the return journey I slowed down in a gateway and there outside some farm buildings was what looked like a large bright green brontosaurus. Our guess is that it is a carnival float. Carnivals are very traditional in the South-West and it is often local hauliers who donate the use of their flat bed lorries to charities or local clubs who are entering a carnival.

A very similar looking American carnival dinosaur.

It has been another sunny day though there was a lot of high wispy cloud so it was great to get out for a walk. We went a little further today, starting off by going through the village and then down to the cliffs by Rockham Bay before swinging back towards our usual route. This involved one set of 'never ending stairs' which was a good test for Peter's ankles and my knee. I need to do some training and walk longer distances as I have signed up to go on the Night Walk with a group from school. This is a ladies only charitable walk (in May) in aid of the local hospice. It is along the Tarka Trail going between Bideford and Barnstaple. You can walk in either direction but we are going to be driven out to Bideford and walk towards home which is good in one way but does mean that we shall be walking with our backs to the sunset. The Tarka Trail runs along the river and estuary and is easy in terms of being level and asphalt or gravel all the way but it is 11 miles so I need to do more stamina work going up and down the cliffs and hills. While we were out walking today we noticed a container ship stationary out in the Bristol Channel. Using our binoculars we were able to see a rescue helicopter from Chivenor hovering overhead. Eventually it got right over the ship and dropped down to below the level of the superstructure, amazing flying skills and then(presumably after picking up a casualty) it headed back to land towards the hospital in Barnstaple. This was not the end of our little events, driving back near Indicott we could see several cars and tractors with big trailers/slurry tanks attached, stopped in the road. Driving up close we saw that one of the tractors had fallen sideways onto the hedge, it must have pulled over to let the other tractor past and hit a soft bit of verge. It was tilted over at about a 45 degree angle but I can't imagine anyone was hurt. Back home I did some work out in the garden sawing off an overhanging branch of a May tree. It's on our boundary so I don't know if it is ours but the vicious thorns threaten to take my eye out when I go up there so I feel fully justified at attacking it with my bow saw. This evening we are having a meal made mainly from the reduced section in Tescos, mushrooms which I've cooked in butter and garlic, a selection of Indian bahjees and some home made parsnip, carrot and potato soup which I've flavoured with turmeric.

1 comment:

Catching the Magic said...

That walk sounds wonderful! Good luck with the training. Your dinner sounds great too :) yum!

P.S. Thanks for your supportive words recently, I'm feeling alot better this week x