Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Tuesday 17 September 2019

Beautiful Things.

After a cloudy morning the day improved becoming hot and sunny. I took myself off for some supermarket shopping. One stop was Tesco's where I marched or at least pushed my trolley purposefully to the customer service desk to return the microwave which had developed a line of rust after only a few months. From the main customers service desk I was directed to the upstairs desk, not a good start but from then on things went well. Not only did the assistant express horror at the fact that rust had appeared so soon but she happened to be one of the mums from school. She had to make quite a few phone calls to get authorisation but eventually I got my refund and had a nice chat at the same time. I then bought the very basic value model for 2/3s of the other one. We may end up getting a fancy one when the kitchen gets done. However I think that a lot of the 'upgrade' is superfluous. For a start I think there is less to go wrong with mechanical controls than with digital settings and I can't imagine using the programmes where you enter the weight and kind of food you wish to heat/cook. When I returned home Peter was out cutting all the grass including our neighbour's after which we spent some time sitting out and enjoying the sun. Speedy has worked out that if I leave the kitchen windows ajar he can push them wider and get out. I felt sorry for him so I put his lead on, kept the cone on his head and let him sit out on the decking with us. 
Now for some beautiful things from St Ives.
First a close up of the earrings that I bought. I decided on this colour combination to remind me of the crystal clear sea swirling over the sand.

While we didn't visit the Tate St. Ives I did call in to a gallery in Fore Street simply to look at objects of beauty. I had permission to photograph the work though what I really wanted to do was to touch many of the ceramic and wood pieces. 

These exquisite pieces by Stuart Cairns were like nothing I'd seen before. I have to agree with a remark overheard that the tiny thorn and metal tools looked as if they had been made by fairies, slightly sinister ones in my opinion.  

These wooden bowls cried out to be stroked but I guess you'd have to buy them before you could do that. 
I saw the bat again tonight but there are several larger species (up to 30 cms.) so I couldn't identify it without seeing it in the light. All morning we saw skeins of Canada Geese flying southwards and then this evening about the same number flying north. The same ones having a change of heart or groups with different winter locations?

No comments: