Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Wednesday 4 September 2019

Windy.

Today has been quite wild and windy and apart from a brief shower which blew in through the window as I did my exercises, dry. I love the wind so instead of shutting the window next to me I just put on a warm top. It's been a good day for me in that  I've got things done. All my exercises and a return to my music practice which I'd been a bit lax with. 
In the morning we drove to the sawmill and ordered three 2 inch thick planks for me to build the tv unit from. Peter and the sawmill chap persuaded me that I should have all three from the mill rather than using some pine from the garage. The wood is Monterey Pine and will be planed and sanded bringing the price to just over £100. That's a lot of money but it should be a lovely piece of custom made furniture which I haven't even seen for sale. Our current 20 year old unit was second-hand when we got it and was adapted when we changed to slim TVs so I don't feel bad about throwing it away. (It's in too poor condition to offer free.)
The nasturtiums in the back garden are gradually being munched by Cabbage White caterpillars. I'm not overly bothered and maybe the butterflies should be given a chance too. I spotted the culprit laying eggs, oh well. 
Last year I used a lot of rose prunnings to keep the cats off the planters and a few of them took root. I saved a couple to try in Borth and one is already flowering. Garden roses are usually grown on a hardy rootstock but I'll give it a go in the sheltered courtyard garden. It would be lovely to have that beautiful scent again.
As we're now into September I collated my daily notes for the summer; June, July & August, ready to write into my family journal. 
I had a bit of fun using Google Street view to track down a property in Cornwall where I spent the summers of my early teens. Surprisingly, as they were quite isolated and are still on almost a dirt track I found the two cottages my mother's Bohemian friends lived in. One of them was originally a pre-fab or shed type building and I can remember standing on top of the flat roof helping to put up the wooden A-frames for the new roof. I was able to show Peter the downhill track we used to coast down on on a engine-less motorbike.

No comments: