Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Thursday 27 October 2022

Warm.

It's been another warm day, 20C/68F according to my PC though that might be the temperature in London which is where my antivirus tells the world I am. All day long the clouds have been racing across the sky blown by a warm southerly wind. That gave a chance for my washed zoo work trousers to dry on the line. 
Straight after breakfast I headed out for the long walk to the other end of the village to post some cards to Canada. When I quizzed the postmaster about the length of time for the post to get there it turns out not quite to be the case. That date was for surface mail ie by boat while the last posting date for airmail is 10th December. I ended up getting the cards stamped for airmail but taking them back home to put in the post box nearer the time. (I didn't feel like trusting the boat, you never know what might happen.) When I checked the Post Office web site for the third time I could see that the dates for the airmail service were buried in with 'International Tracking and Signature Service' and called International Standard. No sign of the word Airmail anywhere. No wonder I got confused.
If I had to go to the other end of the village then of course that made it a beach walk. Just a shame it was nearly high tide and I was forced to walk on the uneven shingle. Not the best for my poorly toe.
I admitted defeat on the return journey and walked home along the pavement stopping at the pharmacy to collect my prescription and at the shop for some milk. 
Then it was time for Welsh class. Today's class was all about had; I had, you had and Did you have? Looking at those simple phrases highlights the strange ways we ask questions in both English and Welsh. In Welsh (or at least as far we have got) there is no difference in the wording of a statement and a question. The only way you know it's a question is by the tone of the voice or a question mark at the end of the sentence. While we can indicate a question by changing emphasis and intonation (try I am happy./I am happy?) it gets more confusing to an English speaker used to either changing the order of words to indicate a question. I am eating/ Am I eating? or adding did and using the present tense I had a cake/ Did I have a cake
After the class I was out again. this time to collect a piece of kitchen worktop I'd seen advertised on the local FB page for £5. It is a grey speckled pattern which will fit in with the planned blue, white and grey bathroom colour scheme and exactly the right size to make the top for the spare cupboard. Peter did suggest taking the car but as it was only a short distance I thought I'd walk. A bit of a mistake as my arms were not quite long enougth to carry the worktop comfortably. At least the walk home was all downhill.
The last row of dwarf french beans didn't grow very tall but are cropping well. I'll be having beans with my supper tonight while Peter is out at a Borth 2030 meeting looking into the feasability of future projects for the village.

 Hopeful surfers.

No comments: