Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Wednesday 5 October 2022

Wet.

Another very wet day, too wet to go to the zoo. I kept checking but we didn't get the first patch of sun until halfway through the afternoon. Right now it's very windy and I can hear the neighbours' bin rattling around on the pavement. (I've already rescued the lid once.) Although the sun is still shining I can see sheets of rain approaching across the water ready to soak any unwary walkers.
I had a good start to the morning and got nearly all my routine done before breakfast and then played the guitar afterwards. It felt great to get that all out of the way. Then I decided to tackle some of the little jobs that had been set aside 'for another day'. First was going through the small piles of clutter, mainly papers, in my study. There wasn't a lot but it was a relief to clear those and know that I stand a better chance of finding things when I need them. Next on the outstanding list was fitting the toilet roll holder I bought the other week. That didn't go so well. I'm going to put it on the side of the cupboard under the sink so instead of the sturdy screws that came with the holder I needed a couple of bolts to go right through the wood. I knew we had a selection of bolts but Peter's work space in the garage is a real jumble and I couldn't find any bolts. Eventually with his help we found the box but no bolts of a suitable size so that job is on hold until we get some.
I returned to tidying my study and found that one of the pitcher plants has also been invaded by the woolly aphids. I cleaned off as many as I could and sprayed but I think this winter I'm going to let both of the pitcher plants have a rest in a cool space and then let them regrow in the spring. 
By that time we were in a sunny spell so I found myself a couple of small jobs to do in the garden. Generally I don't like using chemicals but I gave the deep rooted weeds growing between the paving slabs in the front garden a spray with weed killer. Maybe it will work this time. Then I decided to clean out the weeds from the drainage channel at the bottom of the drive. Not only were there weeds but once I'd taken up the covers I scooped out nearly three buckets of soil from inside the channel. I have been meaning to do that for a while and now I don't need to worry about water getting into the garage. Listening to the heavy rain above me right now and thinking about drainage channels brings back memories of Dingles. Going out in the rain building dams and digging channels to stop the rain from washing away the drive. I do not miss that one little bit.
Blogging early as I'll be going off to sing this evening.
 

1 comment:

happyone said...

I too like to get my house chores out of the way first thing.