Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Saturday 6 May 2023

A Beach Walk.

It's been warm beneath a sky filled with heavy clouds that made me wary of sudden thunderstorms. There were a few showers but nothing worse so far.
Yes, today we've had a coronation but I'm just not interested. I fail to see why I should revere a person (or a family or even a whole class of people) simply because by the fate of their birth they are immensely wealthy and in a powerful position. All due to their ancestors skill or luck in conflict and the ability to make the correct political and financial alliances. When you think about it all animals that live in groups have the same system with the 'pecking order' and dominance achieved by intimidation and violence. The 'top dog' stays in position by whatever means they have until ousted by a stronger contender. In human society the ruling classes maintain their position in any way they can including persuading the massess they are living under a just system. Those who disagree with the status quo may complain or even revolt. But then so often the leaders of a revolution fall into a desire to hold onto their power and the whole cycle begins again. It is depressing to contemplate.
Instead of being glued to the tv for hours I headed out for a long walk along an almost empty beach. 

From FB I saw that the Ringed plovers are back nesting in the stones at the far end of the beach and I was hoping to get some photos. There are at least two nests already and light fencing has been put up to keep walkers and dogs out. When I got to the fenced off sections of the shingle it was like playing Where's Wally? trying to spot a small motionless bird hunkered down in the stones and despite a lot of scanning with the zoom lens I had no luck. I took a lot of photos of the stones just in case but nope. There was a lady and her teenage children there who I realised were there to ask people not to disturb the birds but although we chatted she wouldn't disclose exactly where the nests were. As I walked further along the beach I was able to politely ask a couple not to walk their dog right through the middle of the fenced off area.
Lots more stumps of the 6,000 year old submerged forest at this end of the beach.
Since rain was approaching I walked home along the sea wall and then the High St where I noticed more small arts and crafts shops have opened. Maybe only for the holiday weekend but it is nice to see a bit more life in the village. I got rained on lightly for the very last part of my walk.

 I don't have the label for this clematis but it's certainly doing well.


1 comment:

happyone said...

Oh that sky sure does look threatening.
I love the smooth stones!!!