Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Saturday 29 July 2023

Chalkfest.

Wet, wild and windy this morning with a windy but sunny afternoon.
We had an early start to the day as Peter was due to row or rather cox at 9.00. In the end torrential rain and high waves put paid to rowing which meant I didn't need to drive into town to pick up a stool from the chairty shop for Peter. He's been wanting an extra high wooden stool, something at least 6" higher than the usual bar stool, to sit on while he's at the workbench in the garage, for a long time. Yesterday I came across something I thought might do, took a photo to show him and it was just what he wanted.
Meanwhile I put some washing in the machine then felt really silly hanging it out while dark clouds loomed overhead. I was going to be working in the back garden so at least I could grab the washing quickly if the rain started. But it didn't and the wind blew the washing dry while I weeded and chopped back the plants that had got out of control. The poor lovage was in a bad state as the wet stems had bent over and broken so that got cut right back. I'm thinking I might remove that plant and start again elsewhere with a seedling that has popped up. I'm not sure what it is about the back garden but some plants get enormous. A lemon balm planted in a hole in the concrete with just a little soil had grown 3ft in all directions and the fennel is about 7ft high. I was going to cut down the linaria which has almost finished flowering but stopped when I saw a bumble bee searching the remaining flowers. Better wait until all the flowers are over.
I even did some work in the front garden cementing down one of the very large step slabs that had become wobbly and adding some more cement to the wall by the end gate.
Eventually I went off down the village to look at Chalkfest, part of the two week carnival celebrations. On my way I passed the very nice craft shop that literally has never been open since we've been here. At least not when we were passing. I know because we both liked this fish sculpture and tried really hard to find out when the shop was open or even to contact the owner so that we could buy it. It's one of those places that opens randomly so I grabbed my chance, went in and bought the fish. There's lots of lovely handmade stuff in there and as well as suggesting to Peter this would be a good place to look for my birthday present I shall be returning to do some early present buying for people in the family. The owner thinks that the shop will be open for most of next week so I'll be heading there asap.
Chalkfest is the day when local artists, enthusiasts and children chalk on the inside of the sea wall and hopefully the holidaymakers throw money into the carnival collection pots.





The wind was blowing strongly making the cables above howl and whistle in a very strange way. It also made walking home very difficult.

Speedy likes sleeping in our little meadow and I enjoyed the end of the afternoon sitting up on the terrace.

 

No comments: