Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Thursday 27 July 2023

Humid.

The day began grey with a light drizzle. Later it became much warmer as the sun tried to break through the clouds which led to a very muggy afternoon.
Not sure what the weather was going to do I drove to the community gardens. There I joined in with some hacking back of the taller weeds around some of the fruit trees. In general everything is allowed to grow but eventually the brambles and nettles get to be too much. It was dispiriting to find that two of the fruit trees, a pear and an apple, have had every fruit stripped from their branches. Not only was that a very selfish act as the fruit is for every one but it was also pointless as the fruit was competely unripe. Maybe the CCTV will show the idiots walking out with large bags of useless fruit. 
It was very humid when I got home but at least it was dry and I was able to have a good tidy round the pond/ water feature (I prefer to call it a pond). I think I can now say that the pond is officially finished. It all looks very stark and regimented at the moment but in my mind's eye I picture billowing grasses and low growing plants tumbling over the walls. Not to forget the pygmy water lily and other pond plants that I shall be buying soon.
The next thing was to create a secure home for the sand rye grass. I really wanted to be able to see it from the house so decided on a planter on the pebbled area. To make sure the grass doesn't escape into the gravel it's actually sitting on a large cement block and a couple of pieces of stone with a thin layer of pebbles on top. When I cleared the fine gravel to fit the block I found that there was concrete underneath which is even better.
It was another hot and sweaty session at aerobics tonight and I really appreciated the cool sea breeze as I tottered home along the cliff.
Now for a few more photos from Cae Hir.



I really like the miscanthus next to the white agapanthus but sadly it is too tall to survive the sea winds in our front garden.

That's a clematis flowering at the top of the tree.

 

No comments: