Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Sunday 2 July 2023

Dinerth Castle - Nearly.

A dry and windy day with some sun later on.
I only just made it in time to the meet up point due to tractors. Not only had I been stuck in a queue of at least twenty cars behind a tractor for miles along the main road but as soon as I turned off, with a great sigh of relief than I found myself behind another tractor. The country lane was wide enough that I could have gone past the tractor but he was towing a hay turning machine which was even wider. Frustratingly he drove past at least four places where the road widened and he could easily have moved over to let me past. But he didn't and I got there just in time.
Today's walk took us through meadows,
and woods where for the most part we were trail blazing through tall brambles.

We crossed over the River Arth (or possibly the Erthig) which is currently no more than a stream. 
Passing the ruins of 'The Witch's Cottage.' Wondeful stonework now destroyed by time and nature.
Our goal had been to visit Dinerth Castle which sits on a mound hidden in the woods. Unfortunately there is no public footpath and the owners have made it very clear with their 'Private Property', barbed wire and hidden by a fellow walker heavy duty chain that the common people are not allowed in. Frustratingly it is only about 50 yards beyond this gate. We milled around the gate for a while and maybe somebody, (not me,) climbed over the fence to have a look. We must have been seen because near the end of our walk when one of our group walked back a bit to find his dog's lead he saw a chap repainting the notice on the gate. 
We ate our lunch under this magnificent oak tree. Looking out across the meadow I could see dragon flies patrolling and pairs of butterflies dancing above the tall grasses.

We were about to climb the last hill when somebody spotted two foxes at the edge of the wood. They watched us and we watched them for at least five minutes before they sauntered off back into the wood.
I had an easy drive home, brought in the washing which had been drying on the line and now I'm waiting for Peter to return from a boat repairing session.
 

1 comment:

happyone said...

What a treat to see the foxes!! :)