Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Wednesday 26 July 2023

Wet.

The day began much as the last few days with a fair covering of grey clouds. But instead of turning into a sunny afternoon we had light rain in the afternoon and torrential downpours in the evening.
Fishing conditions must have been good this morning because not only was a local fisherman out but only metres from the cliff a seal was happily munching on what looks to be some sort of flat fish.
Today I began my next great venture - having days out on my own. Whilst I've often gone for long walks on my own these have always been with home as the starting point. Somehow I associate a day out with company and it seems quite odd to plan a day out alone. But with Peter less able to walk and not keen on visiting places it's either go on my own or not at all. So on my own it will be.
I thought that visiting gardens would be a good start so I looked on line and found Cae Hir which turned out to be not too far away. It was only an hour's drive and most of that was along the road towards Aberaeron that I've driven down several times for the Sunday walks. At the end of the route I knew it was just a matter of turn left, stay on the main road for a few miles and then turn right. I used good old Google blue line to check the junctions and signs and had no problems getting there.


It was raining lightly when I arrived but with the forecast for heavier rain later I headed straight into the 16 acres of beautiful gardens.

The rain didn't bother me but it did mean that I had to keep my camera tucked into my jacket, hence the occasional rain drop on the lens. The grass was very wet so I took off my flip-flops and walked barefoot on the soft grass.
The gardens are at their best in spring but everywhere I looked there were amazing vistas and interesting plantings which sometimes included wildflowers to great effect.
As I walked round I was greeted with many familar favourites, plants such as; alchemilla molly, purple and yellow loosestrife, crocosmia, common and less common varieties of hardy geranium that had all been staples in the garden at Dingles. Not to mention all the mature acers. 
And then there were unusual varieties or plants I hadn't seen before.
Eventually the rain drove me to the tea room and the plant sales area. There I selected an orange crocosmia that I think is different to the one I already have, Goat's beard/ salsify and sand rye grass. I had a long chat with the owner, Stephen and he advised me that the sand rye grass which is like a bigger version of festuca glauca is a thug and best grown in a container. It can go in one of the concrete planters in the front garden. That way the roots won't be able to spread and take over the garden. If I put it in one of the planters on the steps the roots won't have anywhere to go even if they escape through the drainage hole. Naturally this conversation was over a coffee and parsnip & orange cake. That was very much like a carrot cake with an orange flavour and cream cheese frosting.
It was a wonderful garden to visit and I shall definitely be returning. May Bank Holiday is already marked up on our planner whiteboard as then they have a plant fair with lots of their own plants for sale and plants from other local nurseries/ gardens too.
As Morrisons was on the way home I called in to pick up some shopping. I found some sausages with chorizo in the reduced section and they just happened to be reducing some of the cream cakes a couple of which might have found their way into my trolley.
At home it was too wet to do anything outside so I just chilled and maybe ate a cream cake. Then it was time for choir, or so I thought. As I sat in a wet carpark wondering why nobody was there the memories slowly began to emerge of being told last week that there would be no choir for three weeks as our teacher is off doing dance camp and other things. Never mind, a ten minute drive in the rain and I was back home again. Silly old me.

 
 

No comments: