Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Monday 15 May 2023

There's a Hole in the Wall, Dear reader ...

Wild and windy today. Quite chilly too but with plenty of sun.
Down on the beach large groups of schoolchildren were on some sort of geography field trip while a chap on a wheeled board whizzed around catching the wind with his 'wing'. A bet a lot of the children wished they were doing that too.
Our busy weekend left us both feeling tired today but up we got up early to prepare for the builder. I took down everything from the walls and the paper lampshades before I went to bed last night but I still needed to cover the doors and door openings. I left the floor for the builder to cover up with his own dustsheets. And yes he turned up on time ready to cut a hole in the wall. There was still a major discussion as to how close the window could be to the boiler flue. I so wish it could have been further over as I'm not sure we can still have the shower on the wall by the window which if we can't puts the bench seat in question. I'm also pretty disappointed in the size of the window. The opening looks adequate and my plan was for a 90cms x 45 cms window. I knew the glass would be smaller but I hadn't expected that it would only be 68cms x 20 cms. To be fair the builder dropped the window off some time ago and kept asking if I was happy with it. I was so happy to have finally got a window, any window that I said I was so now I'll just have to grin and bear it. If there was a wonderful view from the bathroom I think I would be more upset but as the bottom half of the view is our neighbours' high wooden fence it's not that important. It will just be good to have natural light and proper ventilation in the bathroom. The builder has nailed a large board over the opening for tonight but there are a few gaps so we might have even more draughts this evening.
I kept out of my study while the builders worked. Instead I sat in the sitting room getting on with my crochet squares. I've finally written a pattern that I can decipher which should keep it looking more square. Speedy has worked out that he can't sit on my lap while I'm doing crochet, instead he sat on the footstool infront of me and purred. He's still being fussy over his food which I mash with a fork and give to him in small portions. 
I tried and failed to capture the deep jade and turquoise shades of the sea as a wing surfer sped back and forth.

 

2 comments:

happyone said...

Will be a nice big window.
I remember when Ken and I put in two huge windows in a house we lived in once.
Cutting the wall and pushing it out was pretty exciting. :)

Ruta M. said...

Not so big with the glass only being 20cms high. It will be clear glass though as I don't like opaque windows. I don't think we could have cut out this hole as the wall is a double layer of bricks laid in two directions with a very strong concrete render both inside and out.