We had good drying weather today, warm and windy sometimes sunny too. I got several loads of washing out on the line for the first time in days. The bedding is already ironed and back on the bed while the towels are finishing off in the utility room.
Working in the garage I spotted another urgent job. Woodworm in the old window frames. I know these windows are high up but you would have thought someone might have noticed the (considerable) damage before now. Especially the builders who replaced the whole roof! Imagine if the woodworm got into the roof timbers. As it is parts of the wooden frames are completely eaten away. I used what woodworm killer we had on the most obviously affected wood and will buy more, and some wood filler tomorrow.
That done I loaded up the car with unusable wood for the dump and some other stuff. I don't put the bags of garden waste in until the morning as I don't fancy insects loose in the car.
My final job (apart from the ironing) was to tidy up the hedges in the front garden. The end hedge was looking a bit bushy and there were a number of stragglers sticking out of the side hedge. Half the work when hedge cutting is carrying everything to the end of the garden; extension cables, stepladder, electric trimmer, secateurs, brush and pan and bags. But at least I don't have to cut the whole thing by hand.
I popped down to the shop earlier to get some mushrooms and a leek for tonight's supper. It's is something I've cobbled together based of a recipe I saw on-line. A quiche with a smashed potato base instead of pastry (I'm not a fan of pastry). On top of the potatoes I've put braised onions, mushrooms and sliced leek and some fresh tomatoes and grated cheese and poured beaten egg over the top. Garlic and oregano for taste as well.
I've stuck it in the oven at the same temperature as I cook everything else and when it looks done we'll eat. Fingers crossed.
Coming back from the shop I looked down at the lavender and as well as the usual white butterflies there was a small blue. That's one I rarely see anywhere. Of course it had gone by the time I got my camera but I did hear and then see a common field grasshopper on the lavender.
I had a couple of encounters on my journey too and from choir last night. Driving along a narrow country lane I saw a bird sitting in the middle of the road. At first I thought it was a woodpigeon as they often sit on the road right until you get up to them and then fly off but then realised it was a small bird of prey, a sparrow hawk. Was it injured? I drove a little closer and it flapped up and then landed back on the road about 6ft away. I drove closer and it stayed where it was so I stopped, leaving my hazard lights on and was about to get out of the car to throw something over the bird to catch it when it flew up the road again then flew upwards and eventually made it over the hedge. Perhaps it was a fledgling confused by the high hedges on either side of the road. If I had caught it I would have driven to choir and hoped that M who is a vet nurse who be there (she was).
My next encounters were on the same lane on the return journey. By that time it was dark and I was just noting the numbers of flying insects in the air when I spotted something furry trotting along the road ahead. Too small for a fox, maybe it was a cub? But as I neared it turned out to just be a cat. The hedges go straight up from the side of the road with hardly any verges so it took a moment before it got safely out of the way. That had been a little ginger car and moments later I came across a black and white cat which soon jumped into the hedge.
1 comment:
I loves those perfect days for hanging out the wash. :)
Post a Comment