Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Thursday 11 December 2008

Dramatic Skies.

Last night at WI it was a flower arranging demonstration. I'm always quite impressed with flower arranging but at home I just like to plonk flowers in a vase and give them a bit of a shake to settle down. So much easier.
We were given lots of ideas for Christmas displays.
I might get inspired if I have time.

Our refreshments, most of which were home made. One lady had even used cream from her farm's jersey cow.

A dramatic red sunrise at 8.00 this morning.


By 9.00, as I drove Romas to The Ariel for another recording session, the sun had started to shine. This flat road used to be the start of my running route until my knee gave out. Round the corner there are telegraph poles at close intervals so I was able to run a little further each day with good old Zulu by my side. Shame about Zulu and shame about the knee. Now it's just the sit-ups. (450 today.)



After I dropped Romas off there was some dramatic underlighting of the clouds. My camera has made them moodier than the reality but when I lightened the photo using the manual settings I lost the cloud definiton.




The hills on the horizon are Dartmoor 65 miles away. I love being able to see such a long way.
I drove into town to do a bit of shopping, despite all the hype on the news there were very few extra reductions at Woolworths though I did buy myself a snazzy set of gardening tools in pink! as my trowel has no handle and my secateurs have lost their spring and one of the handle covers. Original price £16, I paid £3.60, so that was a good reduction.





On my way home I had another good veiw of Dartmoor from the top of our drive. I like the way it is rising form the mist like an island.






Before going out to do more weeding my inner 4 year old iced some biscuits that I had baked yesterday. I now know why I only bake biscuits at Christmas, it took several sessions and quite a long time. They do taste nice though. I like to give a bag of home baked biscuits to our postman as a Christmas thank you. He drives to the house, has a chat, takes letters I want posted and if we're not in, leaves parcels in the porch. I might bake some giant chocolate chunk cookies as well as they are much easier to make.








5 comments:

Julie said...

well your biscuits look better than mine... I did no icing... too much work! Especially with my little helpers... ha ha. it took 700 grams of butter and I could NOT believe I was making this... so much butter,but not as much sugar, so that was good...but I think they are a little bland. It was my first time making spritz cookies. And I have never heard about rolling dough out in saranwrap/clingfilm What do you do exactly? Do tell...

You got a GREAT deal on your pink gardening tools... yeah for pink ones. :)

And yes I did see Jamie Oliver on tv... I saw him before his wife and then after he got married and then with his little girls. He is so great on tv and you just want to sit in the room with him and learn to cook. I would love for him to take his better eating skills all over Europe and the US. It is so important... I ate horrible as a kid and have always been overweight...and still am. So, I love his recipes, they are so fresh and lovely.

Catching the Magic said...

Beautiful post full of inspiring ideas on the decoration and cooking front! Sounds like you've been having lots of fun in the build up to Christmas! Sarah x

Ruta M. said...

Re- biscuit rolling. I already had the dough in flat lumps about 1" thick wrapped in cling film resting in the fridge after mixing, to harden up. I got the recipe from Pioneer Woman's site, you're supposed to leave them in the fridge for an hour but mine were in for a day as I had to buy more food colouring. When I took the dough out of the fridge I just unwrapped the cling film then the dough loosely before rolling over the top of the cling film. No need to keep sprinkling flour on the work surface or the rolling pin. The cling film peels off easily so that you can cut out the shapes then I just gathered the scraps together, put the film over the top and rolled again. No mess at all and I'm generally a messy cook, yesterday there were blobs of icing all over the kitchen.

Ruta M. said...

Sorry, didn't read it through properly.
.... then wrapped the dough loosely.

happyone said...

Oh, that table looks so pretty filled with all those yummy looking goodies.
Your biscuits look yummy as well!
Beautiful sky pictures.