Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Monday 8 December 2008

Good Intentions Gone Wrong.

Another hard frost this morning. Peter decided not to risk the icy hill, rang work and took a flexiday instead. I decided to get on with tidying up starting in the kitchen. First I thought I would make my own wood polish. This was something I had seen on tv, what a disaster. First you had to melt candle ends in the microwave, this was what had caught my eye as I had a bag of candle stumps. Luckily I was watching the microwave so I was able to turn it off the minute flames appeared from a wick, and the wax didn't melt anyway. Instead I used an old food tin on the rayburn and that worked fine. Next you had to add linseed oil (which I have for the wood worktops), mix it in so that the wax doesn't solidify but makes a soft paste- not. Hard wax on top and linseed oil underneath. I disposed of that mess and decided to use a tin of Brywax polish instead. That had dried out a bit but I melted it on the rayburn. Of course the dark brown colour should have alerted me to the fact that this was staining wax. I dolloped a big smear on a pine cupboard and it took me ages to clean off. That's gone in the bin as well now. Then I decided to make some Christmas cookies, all was fine until I went to sort out the food colours for the egg glaze you put on before baking. Choice of blue or black! not too appetising on a biscuit. Biscuit dough is now resting in the fridge until I bring home more suitable colours after work tomorrow. I had planned to make a pair of cat ears and a tail for dress up day at school from a furry scarf I bought for 20p but going by the rest of the day I decided to put that project on hold. Instead I went out into the much warmer wet garden, did some sweeping and weeding. Less to go wrong there. After that I did an extra 50 sit-ups to mitigate yesterday's munching on kebabs and birthday cake.


I thought after my hectic day I'd post some restful photos that I took at the beach one summer's evening.





2 comments:

happyone said...

Oh my yesterday was not your day. Today just has to be better.
Lovely photos!!

Shalini Agrawal said...

Hi

Nice to see blog info in your blog and u have very good info on Cheap Iroko Worktops