Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Saturday 11 July 2009

Rain Again !

I woke up early this morning and was forced out of bed by this stupid shoulder of mine. Lying in bed, sitting up in bed or even sitting in a comfy armchair make my arm painful and yet it miraculously gets better when I'm walking around or sitting in an ordinary chair. I'm seeing the physio on the first day of the holidays so hopefully it will stop getting worse and start improving. Lots of rain showers this morning which have now settled into continuous heavy rain. Rain making the fennel look all sparkly.
Yesterday I treated myself to more petunias to top up the hanging baskets. This was instead of an 'it's the end of a week and I'm really worn out so I need something yummy to eat' type of treat. They were doing a special offer for 4 trays (6 plants each ) at BJ's so I bought 2 trays of a gorgeous burgundy colour, 1 tray of deep purple and just for fun a tray of mixed doubles including 1 salmon pink which I'm a bit dubious about. I'm quite particular about colour in the garden. So there I was at 7.00 in the morning, jamming all these new plants into the baskets between the trailing petunias that are already in there. Now it's just water and deadhead and wait for a lovely show of purples and pinks. As Peter is sort of mobile we planned to go into town to get his birthday present, a leather drover's hat (like Vytas' one). I also mentioned to him that I wanted to take him into ONE clothing shop to see if he wanted/needed any new clothes. His face took on a sort of glazed-over panicked look as he said he didn't need any clothes thank you. Men and clothes shopping ! We did look at some clothes but nothing got bought apart from the hat.
I've been slowly working on the kitchen and today I managed to clear and clean the sink (step 1), tidied away every one's stuff that never makes it past the kitchen (step 2), and hoover the floor and various dusty corners (step 3). Didn't quite make it to step 4 - wash the tiled floor but I feel so much calmer now the place is actually looking clean. I think I would have died of embarrassment if anyone had walked into my kitchen a week ago, and my standards are not that high ! We're about to have our kebab feast, Peter always gets very generous potions from the take-away ever since he went in and spoke some Turkish to the people there. Peter has a natural ability for languages which I'm highly envious of as I'm useless at languages .


Looking out of the staircase window across the stream I saw this dragonfly sheltering under a leaf, or maybe it's sleeping like a Norwegian Blue ? Last night there was commotion in the corridor outside our bedroom door. I looked out to see a bat fluttering about, it settled on the floor and then scuttled to the wall. Good blogger that I am I ran downstairs for my camera but when I got back the bat was nowhere to be seen. I looked in the usual places and the window was shut but I couldn't find it. The cats are out at night and I had another look in the morning before letting them in but I didn't find it.

2 comments:

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

I just love that little stone cottage.

Domestic Executive said...

That first picture is amazing - I felt I could almost touch the rain.