Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Wednesday 29 July 2009

Too Much Rain.

It's been pouring with rain all day. The met office gave out a severe weather warning this morning and overnight there was a tornado in Stornaway and a waterspout seen this morning in the Bristol Channel. (Couldn't find any pictures to post of the waterspout.) So I've been forced to do housework all day long. Peter had to go to Exeter for a work interview which is all a bit stressful. I decided to tackle the tidying of the kitchen In our family there is always lots of stuff lurking in every corner. Five people's stuff totals a lot of clutter and mess. Every work top or cupboard top collects piles of important but unidentified objects which might come in handy one day. I started my work by writing a list on the whiteboard of each area to be tidied. Then I could have the satisfaction of crossing the jobs off. I didn't quite make it through today's list but as there is nothing on tv tonight perhaps I'll get a bit more done. I did get to de-clutter the mantelpiece and even polished it with some bees-wax polish. How very domesticated of me ! I also hoovered the stone wall which tends to accumulate cobwebs and lots of dust. As nothing else has happened today I'll give a run down of the things in the picture. First there's the obvious LOTR interest, that's me. The banner was a 50th birthday present from our close friends and the flag was a present from me to me. The card is one I drew for Peter from Alan Lee's designs. The bronze is one of my mother's and the painting came from her house as did the dutch inkwell. The antique candlesticks were a wedding present from a lovely couple . She was a concert pianist and he was an architect. They lived in a beautiful house in Chichester with at least 3 baby grand pianos. The boggart money box is Romas' and is full of coppers. The blue glass vase and the flowery jug came from car boot sales and the old blue jug probably came from my mother's house. I love the shape of jugs and have quite a few around the place. The small brown thing is a carving of a scarab beetle brought back from a holiday in Egypt by our friends' daughter. Removed in the de-cluttering process were: photos of Vytas' graduation, models of Minas Tirith, The Argonath, a witch king, Pippin on a pony, a big fat elephant money box assorted sewing needles and a craft knife. Just shows how cluttered our place is.

2 comments:

Sarah Lee said...

Sorry to hear about the rain, but your indoor work sure looks impressive! I always find finishing up on housework very satisfying. I love your collections and the way you've laid out the mantle piece. It's the little stories behind each of the treasures that are so special. Wishing you sunshine soon! x

happyone said...

I like making lists too when I have a lot to do. It feels so good to cross things off it!

Our library has a great selection of audio books and I usually get mine from there. I just downloaded those few because they were a gift. Thanks for thinking of me though! :-)