Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Thursday 9 July 2009

Sweet Meadowsweet.


Today has been dry, windy and mostly grey. The long range weather forecast is for this all summer with maybe some sunshine if we are lucky. No wonder people go abroad for their holidays. There's nothing like that feeling of incredible warmth you get when you step out of a plane late at night in a hot country.

We are well into the end of term wind-down. Most of the morning was spent going over to the junior school for a shared assembly. It was great seeing so many of my last year's class. Normally I only see those few who come with their mums to collect younger brothers and sisters from our school. In the afternoon we had PPA time and managed to send off the data from those dreaded profiles. We are hoping tomorrow goes well as we walk all 180 children to a local park for a day of fun activities. We have booked coaches for the homeward journey or we'll never get back to school.



Here are a few more pictures from yesterday's walk down on the marshes.
In the background can be seen the sand dunes of Braunton burrows, the biggest sand dune system in the UK and a nature reserve.

A group of sheep checking me out from across the water.

All along the waterways the meadowsweet is flowering, it has the most delicious smell of clover honey with just a hint of grass. I must have looked like a real nutcase with my face in a clump of flowers enjoying the sweet smell.










This particular bramble had much pinker flowers than the ones at home. Tonight I was out with a pair of secateurs chopping back the brambles reaching out across the drive and threatening to scratch my paintwork.




2 comments:

Domestic Executive said...

End of the school year already - I hope you have great plans for the long holidays. I love the cow parsley picture, they are so architectural.

I do not however love your weather prediction. I hope on 26 August the sun will shine and shine and shine. And keep shining until the end of September. Selfish I know but I really do need some sun therapy after this long cold winter here in New Zealand.

Cottage Rose said...

Hello Ruta; I really enjoyed reading your post and all those beautiful photos. I just adore the one with the sheep.... just so sweet.... I hope you have some Sunny days soon. and enjoy your end of School year..

Hugs;
Alaura