Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Friday 13 May 2011

Back Once More.

No matter how much surge protection we have on our system if lightning strikes the phone lines and sends a blast down the wire our pcs get damaged. This was the case on Monday when we were subjected to a series of thunderstorms in the middle of the day. We were virtually trapped in our classroom by the torrential rain until lunchtime forced those children having school dinners to make a dash across the playground. All except my boggest boy who stood in the rain without a jumper or coat deliberately getting soaked. In contrast the tiniest child in my class was hovering in the doorway reluctant to go out. I was just insisting that she would have to make a dash for it when a simultaneous flash of lightning and rumble of thunder which shook the hut made me pull her back into the classroom to wait a little longer. Earlier I had been attempting to teach with the storm raging overhead but had given up and instead we had a calm(ish) discussion about what causes thunder. Even so a couple of the children were crying, they were the ones who cry whenever there is a loud noise, (sensitive souls). As the children started returning to the classroom I escaped wearing a wide brimmed rain hat and a plastic bin bag to keep me dry on my way to the staffroom. The resultant damage at home was to the network hub/switch something or other and both our network cards got fried. Luckily everything else was OK but it took till last night to get the system up and running. In between the occasional shower this week it has been sunny and very hot. The longer days have tempted me to stay working in the garden until 9.00 so the veg plot is nearly ready.
None of my (very old) seeds germinated so I went and bought seeds and a butternut squash plant. When I went to buy the seeds it was hard to decide what to get as the limited amount of space means that I won't be growing large quantities and seeds are quite expensive. I had to decide if I should buy a tray of 6 plants ready to plant or for just a little more buy seeds that will be enough for at least 3 or 4 years. I ended up buying seeds of sugar snap peas, french beans, sprouting broccoli and kailaan, mizuna, red mustard & pak choi which came in a multi-pack for some interesting salads. I've got a number of different tomato plants and 2 cucumber plants as well as the squash plant. I'm also hoping for some standard vegetables at the village plant sale.

Out in the fields the farmers have been cutting silage, ploughing some fields and of course muck spreading which makes the countryside look more patchwork like than ever.

Hopefully we should have a dry weekend and I can spend yet mote time grubbing about in the dirt.

1 comment:

Harriet said...

Glad to "see" you again. The pics are lovely to see. Harriet