Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Thursday 5 May 2011

Polling Day.

The rain finally arrived this afternoon. For the last week the local farmers have had the contractors in their fields, cutting, turning and taking away silage. The cut fields are a pale lime green which contrasts with the emerald green of the new grass and the deep terracotta of the newly ploughed fields. Today is voting day so I did my civic duty (voting is optional in this country) and went to the village hall to cast my votes for a local council election and also for the national referendum on changing the voting system. At the moment we have a single non-transferable vote which results in the power always being with one of the 2 major parties though currently the 3rd smaller party did a sneaky deal with the conservatives to form a coalition government. Today's referendum was to change to a system where you list the candidates in order of preference so that the least popular gets knocked out and recounts done until the candidate who is more popular overall is picked. The current government is terrified of this system and along with big business has poured money and lies into publicity aimed at persuading people that change would not be a good thing. I wonder why? The village of East Down lies nestled in a valley and voting was at the village Hall which lies at the heart of community life such as it is. It was absolutely pouring with rain so I took these pictures from the shelter of the porch.

I was rewarded for being a good citizen by spotting a notice for the annual plant sale in a few weeks time. Since I have been working full-time I haven't had the time to go to the WI meetings in the Hall so haven't had the chance to see the village notices or to buy the village magazine. I will definitely be going to the plant sale as the village is full of dedicated gardeners and I should be able to get some vegetable seedlings. I keep peering at my seed trays in the conservatory but nothing has happened yet. I feel like a little child wanting to dig up the seeds to see if they have germinated. The rain put me off doing any gardening this evening so I did a little on my puzzle instead.

No comments: