Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Sunday 15 May 2011

In With The New And Out With The Old.

It was much cooler today but the rain held off long enough for us to go for an hour's walk around Morte Point. Not so many people out today and we did get to see a couple of seals bobbing about in the water and people watching. The pink of the sea thrift made a good contrast against the grey rocks, sea and sky.
Back home my time was spent sanding and oiling a garden table and chairs that I had bought on eBay which was delivered in the morning. I had started thinking last year that my home made pallet table had had its time as not only was the rough surface quite splintery it was also getting very wobbly. I began looking for a second hand table (new being way out of our price range) some time ago and last week I found and bought just what I had been looking for. I wanted a large round, or possibly octagonal, table with good steady legs. So many of the new tables that I looked at had spindly or rickety looking legs which I thought would be a waste of time. I wasn't too worried about the chairs but these ones, though folding are surprisingly sturdy. The set also came with a parasol and the top part of a lazy Susan which I may convert into a small table if I can find a suitable stool down at the dump.

The set after sanding and oiling. While not looking brand new I am still very happy with my buy, the total price of which including delivery and furniture oil though still making it a big purchase for us was at least 1/4 of the price it would have been if we had bought it new. I organised delivery through Anyvan, a site which lets you post your removal requirements and then people give their details and make bids for the job. That worked well for us and it was cheaper and more convenient than hiring a van.


With the parasol and only 1 chair oiled before the rain started. I'm not sure how much we will need the parasol in this climate but it is fun to have. The old plastic chairs can go back to the dump and Romas can chop up the old table for next winter's firewood.

No comments: