Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Tuesday 30 August 2016

Hot and Sunny.

It's been another fun packed day. First thing this morning I met up with friends for coffee in town. Lots of laughter and chatter as we exchanged our latest news. I left my car at school (I know the code for the gates) so I was able to spend as long as I liked in town. After coffee I went to the library then had a gentle amble around the shops. I managed to find 3 tops for school in the charity shops. As usual they are all long vest tops and yes one of them was black but it had gathers at the neckline and was made of a better quality fabric than my regular black vests. I also bought another superking-size white duvet cover in Cargo. It was the last one they had and as they are closing down in a few days it was reduced to £5 from £35. When I got back to my car I called in at Soundpad to collect this lovely acoustic (with electric) guitar which was my birthday present from the boys. Being the musician in the family Romas had chosen this one which is apparently a good one for beginners. I've already dug out my How to Play the Guitar -Book 1 which I bought many years ago as I've always wanted to learn how to play a guitar.
Now back to Lundy. - My afternoon walk on Tuesday. While Peter settled himself down with a book, in the Tavern naturally, I went off for the first of many walks. 
First stop was the Old Light and up the 147 steps to the top. On our other visits I went to the top of the old light every morning before breakfast. 
There are fantastic views from the top of the whole island. I was disappointed to see that the 2 deckchairs were no longer on the central metal platform where the lantern had originally been. I found out later that the dreaded Health & Safety people had deemed it unsafe until a railing is put around the platform.  
I guess that was also the reason for the netting fixed to the spiral stone steps. That is a little more understandable as some of the steps had lost the corner of the step into which the railing had been fixed and it wouldn't be very nice to have a lump of granite landing on your head. Part of my enjoyment of climbing the steps was the hollow echoing sound of my sandals on the stone. A sound unique to a stone tower. 
Having come down from the Old Light my feet were drawn westwards to walk along the impressive western cliffs.  
I got as far as the Battery  (just to the right of centre in the above photo) and having reached the curving stone wall that marks the path down naturally I was going to go down to the ruined houses and cannon beyond. 
Coming back up the uneven stone pathway was fairly hard work and I could feel my heart pounding by the time I got to the top. Then I turned and started making my way back along the coast. 
I went right down to the southern point and then found the old pond/tank that had been cut from the rock to provide a rainwater collection source. 
Finally I turned north to go back by the church and into the village. 
After all that walking I was ready for a game of Scrabble and a dinner of rack of Lundy lamb. Afterwards one of the staff brought out a birthday cake complete with lit candles. Peter had smuggled a cake, white chocolate truffles and fresh strawberries in his bag and had then got the kitchen staff to put it all together. The whole pub sang 'Happy Birthday' while I hid my face in my hands and tried to slide under the table. I was embarrassed but loved it at the same time. Later that evening another lady, somewhat younger than me, had the same thing happen with a slightly smaller cake and one candle and her reaction was the same as mine. A great birthday and a fantastic start to our holiday. 

1 comment:

Harriet said...

Your photos are excellent. I can 'see' clearly your walk about. A lovely birthday surprise...I'd say that was the wonderful end to a superb day. And a guitar.....best wishes.