Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Wednesday 3 August 2016

Windy.

I woke up this morning with an aching back. I suspect it's the result of all the gardening especially the mowing combined with my exercises which I have been diligently doing twice a day. When my back is like this it's at its worst when I am lying down, better when I'm sitting up and much improved when I walk around. Fine for getting things done but not so good for sleeping. Needless to say I'm giving the exercises a miss for a few days. It's been warm and very windy with the occasional brief shower. No sooner had I hung the cats' blankets out on the line did it start to rain and I had to fetch them back in again. 
Out in the garden I gave the planted wall by the scree garden a thorough weeding as that was a job that didn't involve too much bending.  That done I washed the kitchen floor and then checked how many blackcurrants are in the freezer as I feel a jam making session is due soon. I had planned to pick the rest of the blackcurrants from the bushes but the birds have eaten every single remaining blackcurrant!
The hanging baskets are looking very sparse. I deadhead the petunias every day and I don't know if it's the weather or something else but they seem to be almost over. I think I'll have a look at the garden centre to see if there's something else I can plant with the lobelia which is still looking good. 

3 comments:

Harriet said...

Ruta, Your many, many DIY projects are astounding. The pink hydrangea---lovely---do you amend the soil to get that beautiful color? Sadly, my hydrangea is having a sad year. I think the extreme heat we've been suffering through in Michigan in addition to a strange Spring has caused it to not do well. Actually, if I'm honest, my entire garden has suffered. I can begin cutting everyone down soon in preparation for Winter. Hope your back is better.

happyone said...

Hope your back is feeling better .

Ruta M. said...

The hydrangea is still in the pot it was in when it was given to me by a friend. I think they are naturally pink but may become blue if the soil is acidic due to high levels of iron (people put old iron nails in the ground if the soil isn't acidic enough). Our soil is acidic but I never got round to planting the hydrangea and now think I would like to take it with me when we move.
We had a couple of unusually hot weeks which might explain my sad hanging baskets but it certainly isn't hot now.