Welcome to family, friends and visitors. Here you will find interesting (hopefully) pictures of my part of the world, news of our household and probably, long ramblings about anything that catches my interest.

Monday 26 August 2024

Grey.

It was quite grey this morning with a mild wind. We must have been right on the edge of a weather system as every now and again the sky would be all blue and the temperature would shoot right up. I spent a lot of the day working on the doorframe at the back of the house so didn't really see much of what was going on but I'm sure that over the incessant peeping of the last seagull fledgling I heard the rumble of thunder. Though of course it may just have been aircraft.
With a lot of help from Peter the door frame was securely fixed back to the garage wall and the replacement section fixed in place. Having seen how much better that looked I hacked away the uneven frame end on the other side and in a very bodge it manner attached some wood on the other side too. After that I used up the last of the resin wood filler in the remaining holes and gaps. Although the hardener is in a separate container I found that the stuff hardened much more quickly than when I first used it and I had to rush to get it in place before it set. I've already done some sanding, not my favourite job but will need to do more before I can start painting. It won't look as good as if it had been totally redone but at least it won't be falling apart with holes in the rotten wood.
 
This morning we watched some people on jet skis having fun well beyond the marker buoys.

And now for some more photos from yesterday - 

The churchyard of St Michael's Church extends all along the hill and contains around 4,500 graves going back to the middle ages.


This is the third church building on the site and dates from 1875. We didn't go inside yesterday as there was a service about to be held.
The lychgate sits above a stream.

We ate our lunch near the Holy Well which is just a hole in the ground surrounded by slate slabs. I must go back some time and take more photos especially of the 2,000 year old yew tree said to be the oldest yew tree in West Wales. The presence of the yew tree and the well suggest that this was a holy site predating Christian times.

No comments: